VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 GTI 8v CIS, and when i pulled the top off my airbox i found oil in the bottom, not the usually normal small amount, but A LOT, what is the problem?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: oil in my airbox (UTIdub)

If you're sure you didn't overfill, the crankcase breather is probably getting clogged up and sucking more oil through. Pulling the valve cover off and soaking it in degreaser (that mesh can be pretty caked up), followed by flushing the breather hoses with same degreaser, will often help.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: oil in my airbox (negativl)

wasn't overfilled, i was told that it is a sign that i am starting to lose compression?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

it can be a sign of valve problems. clogged breather mesh is just a lot more common. Either way, the valve cover is the first thing to remove.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: oil in my airbox (negativl)

quote:[HR][/HR]it can be a sign of valve problems. clogged breather mesh is just a lot more common. Either way, the valve cover is the first thing to remove.
[HR][/HR]​
More like rings and blowby. If you have oil in your airbox, you can plan on having a pretty gummed up throttlebody. Clean that sucker out too.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Re: oil in my airbox (VW-BMW)

I have the same thing on my 2.0 16v. So, Is there any fuel additives that could help clear this out?
Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: oil in my airbox (maxxam)

Nope. And even an engine flush isn't going to help the mesh part of the valve cover. The only thing you can do is keep everything clean, and maybe hook up an oil catch can if it's real bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts

i was starting to get a small amount.... so i cleaned it all out with degreaser really good and capped off the breather tube with a dork breather thingee so my airbox will never get gooey again.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts