VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have oil leak at the bottom of the upper timing chain cover ? Was checking for engine Bay bearing noise, maybe alternator or serpentine belt tensionner and discovered oil leak. So I have 2 problems to fix now. Tiguan 2018 with only 35000 km.
Automotive tire Plant Textile Grey Style

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had an oil leak at the upper timing cover as well at similar mileage. Dealer replaced the upper timing cover and gasket under warranty and haven’t had an issue there since. The technician also mentioned there was a material change for the bolts that hold the timing cover. I would definitely take it to the dealer and let them have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just came back from the dealer. I showed them the noise and I suggested to remove serpentine belt to see if noise is coming from alternator, tensioner, AC compressor or engine. Surprise noise still there. So it's a bigger problem now and have to let the car for a while..could be many thing...camshaft bearing, vaccum pump, etc ...leaving with a courtesy car...I'll let you know when all this thing will be finished

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer replaced vaccum pump under warranty...Problem still there... need to go back to dealer again. I think it could be water pump. Water pump location on Tiguan is on the right side and is driven by a belt from balancer shaft. Need to try that without water pump belt to see if problem still there...to follow

·
Registered
502 Posts
Can you actually remove the water pump belt without removing the water pump?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer just called me this morning, they removed oil pan and see some grinded metal particle in oil pan. They'll replace this entire engine under warranty but engine is back order so I don't know how long it'll take.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer replaced timing chain upper cover under warranty but they are unable to find bearing noise after 3 days. Here is my sound.
Your sounds like plastis belt tensioner failing but know the timing chain tensioner is a know problem that leak down causing timing chain failure is so bent head valve will follow it a interference engine Humm if under warranty see tech bulletin vw :^) that major asap will cost way more if not done have then replace two balance shafts too the lock up over time small plastic oil micro screen get block they have up dated replacments parts that solve them problems 😉 catch it early save a while bunch monet, time, and down time with out motor lock up lol :^).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts