VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got done fully building my MK5 from the bottom up- and been having trouble with an oil leak that I could not find well after taking the front seal cover off for the third time I finally found it but I’m not sure how to fix it. It’s these two caps under the water pump. Thanks in advance for any help!!! (y)

See pictures below.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if those caps cover oil passages im not sure if you can stop the leak with anything but replacement parts. are those caps or similar to core plugs

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
I just got done fully building my MK5 from the bottom up- and been having trouble with an oil leak that I could not find well after taking the front seal cover off for the third time I finally found it but I’m not sure how to fix it. It’s these two caps under the water pump. Thanks in advance for any help!!! (y)

See pictures below. View attachment 95159
So who replaced the oil galley plugs, you or the machinist?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if those caps cover oil passages im not sure if you can stop the leak with anything but replacement parts. are those caps or similar to core plugs
Is there a potential for debris to get in the galley doing this. That’s my concern. I completely installed everything ran the car (which it ran amazing) and then the leak began.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
From the size markings stamped on them they are the correct size and it look like the larger one was staked in but the smaller one hard to tell in the picture. I would talk to the machinist that did it and see how they want to handle it. No fun pulling out galley plugs on a fresh rebuild that were not taped for plugs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah definitely not a fun task to deal with, I was preparing for tuning and boom.. oil leak. Can it be done safely with engine in the vehicle. I would really hate to dismantle the whole thing over these plugs. And spend $$$ on all the replacement bolts

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
When I have taken galley plugs out I would drill a small hole in the center and then use a body slide hammer with the screw attachment, don't think you have room for that. You could try and tap with a small punch to try and get it to pivot and then grab the edge but no telling what debris might go in to the oil galley and if you mess up the opening more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m going to try and use your method of punching it out and grabbing it. The other method won’t work because like you said I’m limited to space. My next issues is were do I get the plugs at I can’t find them on ECS or UroTunning. Do you know if it’s exactly 14mm or is it 14.25 and also is there any bonding material/sealant I have to add ?

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Part numbers

N01190710 14mm

N0119047 18mm

I have not used any sealer when installing those style of plug but I do use sealer when installing the threaded type.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part numbers

N01190710 14mm

N0119047 18mm

I have not used any sealer when installing those style of plug but I do use sealer when installing the threaded type.

Thanks a lot! I just ordered it so hope be said I’m done by mid week.. also the punch worked like a charm just took my time with it. Here’s what it looked like after.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to install them dry as well but some time Idk 12ish years ago I had an issue with one That would just no seal. That's when I was turned onto Form-A-Gasket number 3. I've been using it ever since and haven't had a problem.

Tho if possible I would rather tap the block and add a plug if I can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about tapping it but again since it’s assembled so I’m worried about the chance for debris. If it can be done clean I agree that’s the best option

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I just put the plugs in day before yesterday and I still had a leak from that same area. I had to take everything down for the fourth time. So here’s what I know. The leak is coming from the areas highlighted in yellow. I’m using permatex ultra black for the Cranck cover gasket. Is there anything that might work better.? I cleaned degreased lightly sanded and verified with a straight edge the covers level.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
The silicone sealer for the front crank flange should be placed on the cover on the inside edge of bolt holes. Are you dropping the oil pan to place the flange on?

Ex.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The silicone sealer for the front crank flange should be placed on the cover on the inside edge of bolt holes. Are you dropping the oil pan to place the flange on?

Ex.

No, I didn’t drop the pan. I put it initially on that inside edge, I also tried going around the bolt holes as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts