VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Brake vacuum pump, you can get a complete seal rebuild kit from ebay or amazon or search vacuum pump delete and go that route.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake vacuum pump, you can get a complete seal rebuild kit from ebay or amazon or search vacuum pump delete and go that route.

Thanks! And is it normal over time for oil to be leaking out of that area? Or could it be from somewhere else?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Also can I just replace that front gasket?
VW only sells the mounting gasket for the complete pump to engine, the rebuild kit posted is all the gaskets & O-rings that are contained in the pump that are serviceable. For the front plate O-ring maybe someone sells that one by itself or you can try and measure that one and find a replacement from one of the O-ring vendors or put a bead of silicone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spulen sells a vacuum pump delete kit, I would highly recommend just getting rid of the pump using the delete kit. Regardless of how well you fix it or rebuild it, it will absolutely leak again. Deleting it results in no worse brake feel, and eliminates a point of failure. Installation is super easy as well if you have a manual car, automatics are a tad harder but not terrible. I did mine in an hour.

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
168 Posts
I may have leak in the very same place. It leaks only when the engine is running, right?

I can see fresh oil in the bottom of the engine, side of timing chain/vacuum pump. Any other sources?

Second question.
I might need to maybe read about it, but I do not really have the time now...
Anyway - WHY to delete the vacuum pump? I know they fail. Any other reason?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I may have leak in the very same place. It leaks only when the engine is running, right?

I can see fresh oil in the bottom of the engine, side of timing chain/vacuum pump. Any other sources?

Second question.
Pretty much the only reason to delete it is because they fail so often. Given that the delete kit costs less than a rebuilt pump, and has almost no chance of leaking again, the delete kit is just the optimal way to go if yours starts leaking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Second question.
Oil drops before I cleaned it

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts