VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started a pretty big leak. 2017 1.8 with 33000 miles. I just cleaned the engine down, drove maybe 15 miles and ended up with this. I believe the cylindrical part is the culprit. Anyone have this issue? Or know what that sensor is?

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it "is" under the filter, however the filter isn't leaking.

I cleaned everything again, all oil off of the engine and pan.

Ran the engine at idle and a couple minutes alternating the revs - and no leak was present.

Took it on a 4 mile ride around the block, and now it is actually dripping oil from down onto the pan and a drip on the floor.

I do see that there is a cooler up there, attached to the oil filter housing. Right next to what appears is the water pump.

I can't see either of these unless I remove some components. Now my guess is it may be the cooler/gasket, but will have to investigate more.

Any thoughts on this, is there a cooler issue with these cars?

Just out of warranty by 4 months, but only 33k miles.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is oil leaking. For sure it was.

Here is an update.

The 2017 is covered by a 5 year 50 k powertrain warranty that includes seals and gaskets.

Took it to the dealer and they confirmed it is the rubber gasket between the oil filter housing/alternator (cast aluminum) casting and have ordered parts.

This area is impossible to see unless you pull stuff off the engine or from around the area of the engine.

They are fixing it under the warranty and should have back later next week.

Fortunately this is my winter car and winter is pretty much over and salt is off the road so I have my "summer cars" to drive - the F150 and two historic Mazdas.... :)

And were not going much these days anyway, so perfect time for repair.

Hope this thread is useful to people in the future that have oil leaks down the block and onto the pan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts