VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (Syncronicity)

Remove your timing belt cover and check your belt for tension. I found on my car that the belt was too loose and I believe the intermediate shaft wasn't turning properly - it drives the oil pump. My engine cut out on me, which I believe happens if the rpm's are above 2000 on my car. For the amount of time it takes, it will be worth the piece of mind.
Also, the intermediate shaft pulley is smooth and driven from the back side of the timing belt.

[Modified by starrd, 7:06 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
450 Posts

Did some more checking and this is how the oil pressure warning system works:
The oil pressure control unit is a component on the instrument cluster printed circuit board. It recieves information on engine oil pressure from two oil-pressure switches on the engine, and engine speed signal (rpm) from the tachometer circuit within the insrtument cluster.
The 0.3 bar oil pressure switch is normally closed, completing a circuit connection to ground and activating the warning when oil pressure is below about 0.3 bar(4.5psi). As the oil pressure rises above about 0.3 bar, the switch opens.
The 1.8 bar oil-pressure switch respondsto a higher oil pressure level, to provide an earlier warning of low oil pressure at higher engine speeds The 1.8 bar switch is normally open. Above about 2000 rpm, it activates the warning if engine oil pressure drops below about 1.8 bar (26psi). After a short delay, the flashing warning light is accompanied by an audible (buzzer) warning. Oil pressure above about 1.8 bar closes the switch.
Engine running - less than .3 bar warning light flases
(up to 2000 rpm) - over .3 bar no warning
Over 2000 rpm - less than 1.8 bar Warning light flashes, buzzer sounds
- over 1.8 bar No warning
You could also be having problems with 1.8 bar switch(white)
The 0.3 bar switch(brown) is located at the oil filter housing.
Check the wire going to it, mine broke and caused me problems
note: - 1.4 bar switch (black) on 1.8l Syncro

[Modified by starrd, 5:54 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (starrd)

Wow! That's excellent information and I really appreciate it. Strangely it hasn't been a problem since that night. That was also the first time I drove the car in a month, so that may be related...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

This is happening to my passat syncro too. After driving for about 5-10 mins and if I let it cruise with the rpm's at a little above 2000 the light and beeping comes on. It will stay on until the rpm's go above 2250 then it will shut off. This will continue for as long as I would be driving and will repeat itself after I shut off the engine. I've already change the oil pressure switches and gone as far as getting another gauge cluster too becuase my previous one had problems with the temp guage. The oil pressure has been check and seems to be ok. I haven't really check the wiring for the swithes yet but could that be the problem? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do? BTW I love this car and will do anything to fix it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (90radorotrex)

A dumb question , but did you change it with the correct switch? The syncro takes the black 1.4 bar switch. There must be a reason why they went to that from the 1.8 bar switch.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (starrd)

Yeah I got the brown and black switch and the brown one is on the filter housing. Would a broken wire be the problem? I've checked the wire as far as I can see without taking things apart. Thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts

My broken wire was right at the connecter, but if it was that, the light would stay on at any rpm above 2000. At this point, what I would do is disconnect the wire from your 1.4 bar switch (black), start your engine up and have someone hold the RPM’s between 2000 and 2250. Using an ohmmeter, check and see if the pressure switch is open or closed. If it is closed, the problem is somewhere between the switch and the oil pressure control unit. If it is open, it is either the switch or your oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

You need to run 20-50 w oil, this is the one and only oil VWs need. I don't think that you indicated the oil you use.
You can also buy a cheap 1/8 thread air compressor gauge that reads up to 100psi.
Screw it into the one of the oil sensor ports. This is an invaluable tool to have exespecilly when you are hunting for a used car.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (Donathan)

I'm using mobile 1 red cap. The oil pressure switch is working fine. This is probably a stupid question but were is the oil pressure sending unit? ....and I know that I should have a bently anyone know were I could get one cheap.

[Modified by 90radorotrex, 4:50 AM 4-14-2002]

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

On a vr6 follow the AC hose on right that is attached to condensor (radiator) down to the oil filter arear. You will touch the sensor. Just stand in front of the car on right side.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (bdsxxx)

I had the same problem on my Syncro. I got the flashing and beeping while I was driving and the flashing light alone at idle. It turns out to be a bad oil viscosity. G60 oil temp are quite high so I shouldn't use 5W30 oil even during winter. I switched back to 10W30 and no more oil pressure problem.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Re: Oil light on and beeping! (Northern Dubber)

my son had the same issue, but used 5-30. HE switched back to VW official weights 20-50 and never had another problem. Note you owners manual for proper weight

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.