VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tend to notice it on when im sitting at lights and the car is idling - it idles pretty low - less than 1000rpm, i think, but it has always idled low - however only recently am i seeing the oil light come on - and if i rev it a bit, the light goes out. i breifly thought it might be normal for the light to be on whenever the revs are that low, but since it hasnt always come on when the revs were that low, its a new condition - has me worried.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (ndumu)

well..
is ur engine ticking bad?
it could be simple as a faulty oil sensor switch or
a dying oil pump?
try the sensor its cheap and they are known to go

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (ndumu)

well...i used to just ignore mine......for some reason it just came on whenever it felt like.....i never had any problems either! good luck

·
Registered
4,111 Posts

i got an oil buzzer that did it every time the car idle'd low. Never found the problem Just took the light out so the buzzer wouldnt go off.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Your oil pump runs proportional to the speed of your engine. The lower the revs, the lower the oil pump speed, the lower the oil pressure. The oil pressure switch is designed to come on when the pressure goes below a certain point. The lower the engine speed, the lower the oil pressure the light starts to get triggered. Find out why your car idles low, correct it, then see if the light is still triggered. If it is, thread an oil pressure guage into the hole where your oil pressure switch is located and see if your readings are low. If they aren't replace the switch, if they are check the oil pump pickup screen at the end of the oil pump. You have to pull off your oil pan too see. Remember too clean the mating area where the oil pressure switch seats as it needs A clean engine ground.
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

somehow your loosing oil pressure, this used to happen to me ('95 2.0l) when i cornered really hard. it turned out, that was the first signes of my head gasket going. this may not be the cause of your problem, but your loosing pressure somewhere. possibly a bad oil pump...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (vwdr1ver)

Have you changed your oil recently? Some aftermarket oil filters cause your oil light to flash. not a big deal really

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (NFJETTA)

crap filters cause it to flash because they're interfering with oil flow. Why is that not a big deal?

Change the oil, and replace the filter with a fresh OEM filter. If the light still comes on, check for actual pressure loss, or failing pressure sensor. Replace the part that doesn't pass.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (vwdr1ver)

ok, could be related to my headgasket ( had a few overheating episodes a while back ) ill just tolerate it for now - ive learned not to stray farther than 30min from home with this car anyway, lol
thanks for all the info everyone - much appreciated

[Modified by ndumu, 6:29 PM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

I had to replace my oil pressure sensor because it was leaking right through the connector spade. When I was buying a new one from the dealer he told me that they redesigned the sensor so that it would not come on as easy. They raised the bar tolerances.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (satchmo)

check out sensor and make sure that it is clean and doesn't have oil coming thru the "diaprahm" (sp)

[Modified by krakkaNW, 12:26 AM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: oil light randomly coming on? plenty of oil on dipstick though? any thoughts? (krakkaNW)

where is the sensor? is the diaphram something on the sensor, or something elsewhere in the engine bay i should be lookin at? again, thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts