VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil level is fine, but the light still flashes and beeps constantly. very annoying. anyone know how to repair this? is it easy or difficult.
could i just pull a fuse for now?

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Oil Light Trouble (altered)

there's two oil senders. one on top of the oil filter, one on the head.
If your problem is intermittent 2000~ rpm going off -> vw oil filter,20w50 oil will cure that.
If not you need to check the sensor or the wire going to it.
see my sig
and see http://sam.bytebandits.com/radotutorial
the big blue one on the head is the 2000rpm one iirc, and the one on top of the oil filter is the constant one.
Now the trick is, one sensor will buzz when disconnected (open circuit) and the other is when its grounded! I forget which is which.
But if you ground one, and buzzing stops, or if you unplug one and the buzzing stops you've found the culprit. First thing to do is check that both wires are connected, then imo put a real pressure gauge on it or replace the sender. I got a used one for cheap here cause the dealer wants so much for em. Oddly my sensor on top of the oil filter the connector sheared off leaving a wire dangling.

The trick is that

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Re: Oil Light Trouble (mrkrad)

And if you do like I did:
-Replaced both sensors
-OEM fliter
-20W-50 oil
-Pressure test came out good
-checked bay wiring
and you still get beeps your SOL, but you can take out your cluster and search for the buzzer that annoys you so much. I couldn't find mine because I wasn't looking in the right place

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: Oil Light Trouble (1967ghia)

20w-50 did it for me. I live in HOT Florida therefore the beeping becomes an issue in the summer. I noticed I need tochange the oil more frequently in the summer to keep the beeping from appearing under 2000rpm.
I agree with mkrad, a real gauge is the way to go...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts