VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go, my oil light is going of randomly, no leaks, pressure is fine, temps are ok, but still the frigin thing is going off.
any suggestions? Charger doesnt have a sensor on it so i cant imagen its that, but Im open to suggestions. if not wheres the frigin audable alarm on that so i can pull it.
Need some helpe here

· Registered
569 Posts
Re: Oil lights giving me additude (thecorradokid24)

Quote, originally posted by thecorradokid24 »
Ok here we go, my oil light is going of randomly, no leaks, pressure is fine, temps are ok, but still the frigin thing is going off.

Just a couple of questions. How do you know that the pressure is fine? Do you have a pressure gauge? Is it beeping at you? If it is beeping at you is it doing it at a certain RPM, say just over 2200? What viscosity oil are you running? do you have an OEM oil filter installed?

· Registered
2,430 Posts
Re: Oil lights giving me additude (Qball)

If your using sythethic oil or any light oil grade, the stuff will definitely make the beeping go off as the senors are very sensitive to lighter types of oil. The beeping on mine got to the point where I just sodered of the damn horn off. Not hard but you gotta pull the intrument cluster to get to it. My oil light goes of every once in a while but it goes away after a bit. But man, no more damn beeping.

· Registered
13,402 Posts

there are 3 parts to the oil pressure sensor system. The control unit which is built into the back of the tach, the low pressure switch (below 2200 rpm) on the filter housing, and the high pressure switch (above 2200rpm) on the side of the head.
If you're measured the pressure and it's fine, replaced both switches, it's then the control unit that is bad.

· Registered
20,747 Posts
Re: Oil lights giving me additude (cramer)

are you certain its the tach I thought it was the fuel gauge? either way I agree with you. I've found that messing with variosu switches and in the car would cause a momentary stopage of the buzzing when its the control unit.
Quote, originally posted by cramer »
there are 3 parts to the oil pressure sensor system. The control unit which is built into the back of the tach, the low pressure switch (below 2200 rpm) on the filter housing, and the high pressure switch (above 2200rpm) on the side of the head.
If you're measured the pressure and it's fine, replaced both switches, it's then the control unit that is bad.

· Registered
13,402 Posts
Re: Oil lights giving me additude (G60ING)

yeah, i'm sure. It may have changed in the later clusters, but I don't recall the digital ones being any different. I traced my problem to the control unit and like Kev posted above, I unsoldered the speaker on the tach board and pulled the red bulb. I monitor oil pressure via VDO guage and dummy light now

· Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Oil lights giving me additude (cramer)

I messured the pressure and it is fine thatis how i know.... and yes always above 2200 rpms....and i run 0w-40 mobil one... trying 10-40 atm but that didnt help .... I think its the sensor you meantionedon the side of the engine I will have to go pick one up, maybe a better discription of where to locate it? If that doesnt work its getting grounded

and if its the control unit how do i fix that in the cluster?
and I have replaced the below 2200rpm one waitingon the otherone and itsstill going off

thanks again

Modified by thecorradokid24 at 10:26 PM 8-24-2006

Modified by thecorradokid24 at 10:27 PM 8-24-2006

· Registered
2,453 Posts
going from 0w40 to 10w40 of course will not help if you are trying to increase the viscosity to make it go away. the "w" in 0w or 10w stands for "winter", not "weight" so going from 0w to 10w does nothing during the summer. try going to 0w50 or 10w50, but everyone always recommends 15w50, although the "w" does not theoretically matter if you dont drive your car during winter

· Registered
569 Posts
Re: (hotrados)

What about your oil filter? Is it an OEM one or aftermarket. Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong but the OEM filter has an internal valve in it and not running it can cause that damndable beeping to commence.

· Registered
13,402 Posts

Quote, originally posted by thecorradokid24 »
maybe a better discription of where to locate it? If that doesnt work its getting grounded

and if its the control unit how do i fix that in the cluster?

look on the driver's side of the head, you'll see a "y" with the braided oil return line from the charger, the high pressure switch is locatedt there.
As for the control unit, as far as i've found, you replace it, no known repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.