VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed today when i started my car that there was oil out of the exhaust. i dont know if it only does it when i start it up or not. what does this mean, bad rings?
is this 'normal' at startup?
it doesn't smoke out the exhaust at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: oil out the exhaust (AHarmes5)

Are you sure it's oil? Water is a by-product of combustion, and will normally get spit out the tailpipe shortly after start, when the engine is running its richest. Combine this water with the carbon that accumulates in the exhaust, and what comes out might look like oil. Also, there is a small hole manufactured into the exhaust (exactly where, I forget, but before the back muffler) that is supposed to drain this water, to help prevent the exhaust components from rotting from the inside, out. Was the emission coming from the tail pipe or elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are probably correct. i thought it was a little too thin to be oil but i wasn't sure what else it would be. i think it may be some carbon because it was on my garage floor and it cleans up wierd. i just wipe it and it isn't like anything i've wiped up before. if that makes any sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts