VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have good tips on removing / installing the 2 bolts by the tranny. I know I can probably get a flexible 10mm socket but threading the bolt back on with a flexible socket scares me. I would really hate to cros thread these.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Re: Oil pan bolts (antgti)

Screw all the fighting it and fighting it and fighting it. Just do what they do with the Schrick oil pan. Take 1 of the bolts to the hardware store and match the thread to an allen bolt of the same length and size. Once you match it up buy 10 of them (I think it's ten). Replace all of the bolts with allen heads. Use a ball end allen wrench to tighten them. Easier for the rest of it's life.
Besides that, the typical allen head bolt is around twice the tencile strength of a grade 8 sae bolt. ( I can't remeber but it was like 27,000 psi compared to 9,000 psi, but can't remember)

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Re: Oil pan bolts (HyKlas)

Here's my technique to prevent x threaded bolts there. First run a tap into the holes with solvent to clean threads. I bought a slick flex socket (10mm) from Snapon Tools to do the install. Use only fingers on the extension first and you will feel the threads catch.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Re: Oil pan bolts (antgti)

My Scirocco originally had socket heads on the pan, what a pain, I changed them for hex head bolts.
The two bolts you talk about are a pain to install but they are do-able, to avoid cross-threading go easy on the torque until you are sure they are in correctly.
Good luck,
fat biker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.