VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use conventional or synthetic? This isn't a thread to dispute the qualities of synthetic vs conventional, i'm just curious what everyone uses.

Modified by vduBen at 10:14 PM 2-16-2004

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Re: Oil poll (SVTFecus)

Quote, originally posted by SVTFecus »
only mobil one for me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Word. 0W-40 and plenty of it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Re: (Salsa GTI)

sorry for asking, but would synthetics really make the car cool any better, stop burning, leaks etc?
I have a gti with 150,000 miles and an oil change is comming up. Should I go that extra mile?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Re: (jeremy80l)

Quote, originally posted by jeremy80l »
sorry for asking, but would synthetics really make the car cool any better, stop burning, leaks etc?
I have a gti with 150,000 miles and an oil change is comming up. Should I go that extra mile?

Synthetic oil has a way of getting past places mineral oil cannot. So if your not leaking bad with mineral oil you will be with synthetic. Its not good to just switch to synthetic on an engine that was not raised on it.
Also heres a fact, unless you also change your synthetic at 3000 mile intervals than its not any better than using good old mineral oil. Not to mention most oil filters were not made to be used past 3000 miles, so if you have 7500 intervals the filter is probably deteriorating inside badly.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: (FourthGenHatch)

Quote, originally posted by FourthGenHatch »
........Also heres a fact, unless you also change your synthetic at 3000 mile intervals than its not any better than using good old mineral oil. Not to mention most oil filters were not made to be used past 3000 miles, so if you have 7500 intervals the filter is probably deteriorating inside badly.

No disrespect to you but where the hell are you getting this from ?? Do you work for Jiffy Lube ?? There are many, many people out there getting 7k, 8k, more miles from syn oil without any loss in protection from the oil. They send samples away for testing and base their oil change regimen around that.
3k mile changes ??

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Oil poll (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
Do you use conventional or synthetic? This isn't a thread to dispute the qualities of synthetic vs conventional, i'm just curious what everyone uses.

in which car? a lot of people here use different oils in different cars for different reasons.
obin

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

I used synthetic in the GLI, but not in the RX-7. I've heard differing opinions on whether or not synthetic is good for rotaries.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,008 Posts
Re: Oil poll (Obin Robinson)

I use the old school stuff in both cars. Never a problem.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts

Mobil 1
5w-30 in the Winter
10w-30 in the Spring/Summer/Fall
Despite what everyone recommends, It really doesn't matter what oil brand you use. If you change your oil frequently and as part of your car's maintenance schedule you will have a happy engine. It's far more important to your car if you change your oil regularly than to nit pick what brand is better. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
at least that's what I think.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: Oil poll (Strikland)

Quote, originally posted by Strikland »
I used synthetic in the GLI, but not in the RX-7. I've heard differing opinions on whether or not synthetic is good for rotaries.

I remember hearing a long time ago....the reason why Mazda recommded against synthetic was one of the synthetic oil formulations was not compatible with the engine (could of been Redline), so they nixed synthetic altogether
Today....with the G35...
The sedan VQ can use synthetic.
The coupe VQ cannot (Nissan recommends petroleum-based oil only, ie conventional, or Castrol Syntec), same deal for the 350Z

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Oil poll (StattlichPassat)

Quote, originally posted by StattlichPassat »
Word. 0W-40 and plenty of it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

You can now get Mobil 1 in the 5W-40 (they call it "Truck & SUV Formula") that VW seems to prefer for recent cars sold in the US.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts