VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this in the 8v fourm but mabey i'll get more traffic here.
OK this is the problem...When im driving with the revs around 3500 to 5000 for more than 5 min the oil light comes on, But only when i drop back down to 2300rpm,Exactly 2300 every time. It comes on for about thirty seconds and then goes away.

Oil level good,
Temps normal,
Nothing different
I was told this is normal,The higher reves push more oil up into the engine and this causes the pressure to drop?
If that is true how do i fix it?

EDIT: Its A 92 1.8 8v digi2

· Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,809 Posts
Re: Oil Press./temp light? (Graham_F)

The low oil pressure buzzer only comes on when the pressure is below the specified level, and the revs are below about 2200. You might have a failing pump, or the wrong weight oil, or a failing switch.

· Registered
470 Posts
Re: Oil Press./temp light? (VDub2625)

my 90 1.8L jetta does the exact same thing. just had it at the mechanics this week and was told it could be related to there being a lot of sludge buildup after sitting for awhile.
I cant tell you if this is true or not as I dont know enough yet to self diagnose but it could be the problem or at least part of the problem.
Gumby

· Registered
2,959 Posts
the buzzer & light come on together only above around 2k rpm, below 2k only the light will flash if you have low oil pressure.
The very 1st thing you should do is get an oil pressure test done!

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Re: (rubjonny)

Do you have an oil temp gauge? What are your "normal" temperatures? Because high temps will thin the oil and lower the pressure, and revving that high for that long will heat up the oil (i speak from experience
). That in combination with a weak pump or any of the other problems mentioned = low oil pressure.
Also, are you running 20W50? If not, you should try it.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (asynchron)

Hummm...I hope my pump doesent die. As for temps, I don't have a gauge yet (Its on the way) But the factory temp gauge sits a little under half so i don't think its heating up to much.
oil sluge hey...Doesn't regular oil changes prevent this.
The car does sit for the winter but an oil change is the first thing when it comes out.
Anyways i'll try the thicker oil, mabey thats all i need?
Also, Can i do the pressure test myself, or Is the gauge good enough?

Modified by Graham_F at 5:52 PM 3-18-2008

· Registered
346 Posts
Re: Oil Press./temp light? (VegasJetta)

Quote, originally posted by VegasJetta »

Only the older Vortex members will get that one...
Quote, originally posted by VegasJetta »

LOL.... i'm gumby by gum.... yes i'm old. remember "land shark"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.