VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've searched and i've posted previously...
i purchased a mechanical autometer oil pressure gauge off the 'tex, and i really don't feel comfortable with 80+psi in my dash so i'm going to buy an electronic one, my question is, how different is the hook up for an electronic gauge to a VR as opposed to a 2.0, i know the wiring doesn't come with the gauge, but the sender does, is there anything else i should know or need before i embark on this adventure? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
pic for clicks (not mine)

· Registered
6,267 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question (vwjettalikewhoa)

it does come with the sender and the wiring is quite simple. i just took one of the senders out of the top and replaced it with the autometer one

· Banned
7,782 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question (vwjettalikewhoa)

thats my interior

yeah go with the electric gauge and get the adapater from 42DD, I always wondered if they can be wired to one of the stock oil pressure senders on the 2.0, theres one on the block and one on the oil cooler

· Registered
884 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question (sk8snogo)

I have an 80psi in my 2.0L. Not sure if it's different than a VR. Here's the wiring notes I got from a3clusters (who is the bomb):
Quote »
Dimmer Circuit
from the radio harness - gray/blue wire OR
from the cluster - wire #12
Power
at the cluster - pin #13 is 12V at key on and car running

I ran my sender wire through with the other wires that already go through the firewall.

· Banned
7,782 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Question (Netdewt)

Quote, originally posted by Netdewt »
I have an 80psi in my 2.0L. Not sure if it's different than a VR. Here's the wiring notes I got from a3clusters (who is the bomb):
I ran my sender wire through with the other wires that already go through the firewall.

did you use the autometer sending unit? or can you tap into one of the stock units either block or oil cooler

· Banned
7,782 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Netdewt »
I've got a VDO gauge, I had to get a new sending unit. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I think I remember reading that the stock one wouldn't work.

I never read that, I'm still curious about that, I hooked up my temp gauge to one of those senders because I thought it was a temp sender, it gave me some kind of reading, thats what boggles my mind.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thanks alot for the info, does anyone know what "t" fitting i'll need, to split the stock oilpsi sender and the aftermarket one, a part number or anything? thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.