VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the oil pressure max out at on an ABA? I need to know for ordering a gauge (what range do I need)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Re: Oil pressure gauge? (blubayou)

I just installed mine last week.....when the oil is cold it gets up close to 100psi and when the car is all warmed up I have about 75 psi at 4000-redline, and 19psi at idle http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (of course that is all after I replaced my oil pump)

[Modified by sbiggi, 1:02 AM 4-9-2002]
Edited for spelling

[Modified by sbiggi, 1:02 AM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
Re: Oil pressure gauge? (igneousGOlF)

VDO only offers 80 psi or 150 psi guage/senders, I've got a 150 installed. Install is pretty straight forward, there is a plug on top of the oil filter housing right next to oil lite sender that is tapped for 10mm sender threads. You use allen key to remove plug screw in sender, do not put teflon tape on sender threads, use some conductive antisieze compound (silver stuff from permetex) if you must put something on threads. Sender needs good ground to work. Run a single wire from sender terminal along wiring harness to firewall, fish it thru under dash. I mounted my oil presssure & voltmeter in a New Dimensions panel (AIII) that fits right behind the (non) cup holders. Took lighting power off cig lighter and ignition on 12V off blower switch. Don't hook up the 12V guage power to the cig lighter since its always on and even the little draw of my voltmeter ran down the battery during vacation when car sat for a couple weeks. Ground connection is at left side of dash, big round terminal has plenty of spare contacts so just plug in there. To sum up...oil pressure or temp guage needs: sender signal wire, 12V positive when key is on, ground, lighting circuit wire. Votmeter just needs 12V key on, ground, and lighting. Hope this helps! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PS Ez way to wire up gauges (voltmeter, oil press, oil temp) is to snag a harness out of an old Cabby. They had a 3 guage set up and if you get one at PickNPull, it has all connectors for guages and lighting, so its ez to do a plug and play for three gauges, or you can cut off the one connector set and do just two.

[Modified by spitpilot, 9:59 AM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Oil pressure gauge? (spitpilot)

quote:[HR][/HR]VDO only offers 80 psi or 150 psi guage/senders, I've got a 150 installed. [HR][/HR]​
I am using the Autometer Phantom gauges in my car, to match my instruments (white). They have a 100PSI oil press available. I already have boost/vac and A/F installed, and in the process of getting volt, oil press, and temp. Thanks for the input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts