VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think it could be the oil pump becuase it ONLY comes on at 2000 rpms and stops sounding at 2400, every single time, i can run it to the redline and its fine as long as it doesn't drop below 2400. Please help me, its my gf's car, i am assuming it could be the sending unit, but maybe it is the oil pump. ITs on a 93 jetta
THanks

·
Registered
24,971 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Light coming on between 2k and 2400rpms (Beama Man)

Usually, when someone comes in to the forums with a question regarding blinking and/or buzzing oil warnings, people jump up and say, "oh, it's the sending unit..." Similarly, you'll be recommended to change to a thicker oil.
For the record, these are a dangerous knee-jerk reactions that could endanger your engine if you only follow their ill-informed advice.
Okay, you're getting an oil warning light, but you're getting it for a reason. The worst reason would be an oil pump or some other actual pressure-related problem. That should be the first thing eliminated.
The first thing you should do is determine what your actual oil pressure is in the first place. Hook up a gauge, or have someone do it, and find out first. If everything checks out, then proceed from there.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Light coming on between 2k and 2400rpms (Beama Man)

Here's my knee jerk reaction. The 2.0 has a sensor that's tied to your rpms, I used to get the same thing when the engine was hot and I was coming off the highway, everytime the rpms reached 2000 the beeping would start. I talked to the dealer and they gave me the solution. OEM oil filters have a spring loaded check valve in them that helps maintain pressure in these conditions. Ever since switching to OEM filters 100K miles ago I've never seen an oil light since. If it's an older vehicle heavier oil will help too.
I would suspect an oil pump or sending unit if you are seeing the warning at all different rpms, the problem you mention is pretty specific to the rpm though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts