VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil pressure problem?

i have an 81 scirocco, and the damn oil light came on, i am not low on oil, and i have tried to look for visible oil leaks but its hard to do until i get it on a lift. is that oil light activated by low oil pressure? and if so is that a direct oil pump problem or could there be something in between. the car still runs ok, and hasnt seized or anything. the light came on when i was on my way home a couple days ago. any help would be greatly appreciated. by the way. what is the easiest way to check for oil pressure? is there either good pressure or none? or can the pressure just be down for some reason but not down enough for egine damage? thank you so much.

Modified by 81vw at 1:02 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: oil pressure problem? (81vw)

no one can help me? come on now, i know we have some experts on this board. thanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: oil pressure problem? (81vw)

The light means the oil pressure is too low. Since you have oil in the car, you could try a new sender. How many miles are on your car? Make sure you are using the correct weight oil. 20w-50 is what lot's of people use and it will help keep the oil pressure up. You could get a oil pressure gauge so that you can see what your oil pressure really is. If you do, get an electronic one. Don't drive your car with the oil light on. It could mean no oil pressure which if you keep driving, would mean lots and lots of engine wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts