VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a leakage in the oil temp switch so I removed it and plugged the hole with a bolt.
But when I drive the oil warning light comes on + sound from the buzzer, is this ok to drive with for a couple of days??
What about when you 16v turbo guys uses this for the oil feed line, will the oil light/buzzer go on??
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand)
This is the oil temp switch I'm talking about:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Re: Oil temp switch (Mk2Vr5)

same thing happened to me...just go an buy a new one.. it cost me only 20 bucks...saves you the headache...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Oil temp switch (dubidoobs)

Quote, originally posted by dubidoobs »
same thing happened to me...just go an buy a new one.. it cost me only 20 bucks...saves you the headache...

Yeah I'm going to buy a new tomorrow, but it is safe to drive without it until I get a new one (when the oil light/buzzer is on) ??
Just have to be sure

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

dunno if it's safe or not, but the whole point of that switch is to monitor that ur engine has enuff pressure. oh, btw, the one i got for my car doesn't look like that stock one...the stock looks like a nut with a contact...i guess that was the style in the 80's, but the one the parts shop gave me is like 2x bigger, but it works...

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mk2Vr5 »
I had a leakage in the oil temp switch so I removed it and plugged the hole with a bolt.
But when I drive the oil warning light comes on + sound from the buzzer, is this ok to drive with for a couple of days??
What about when you 16v turbo guys uses this for the oil feed line, will the oil light/buzzer go on??
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand)
This is the oil temp switch I'm talking about:

Dunno why it wouldn't be safe to drive it since it's only warning you of a low oil pressure condition that doesn't exist. Just ground the wire out and you should silence the warning.
A while back when I suspected my oil pump was going, I hooked in a cheapo mehcanical oil pressure gauge at the same location as that switch. Not in place of the switch, but on a T. The tubing for the guage changed the pressure just enough for the switch that the warning light kept coming on. I grounded it out until I removed the guage.
stef

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Oil temp switch (vwgti1986)

Quote, originally posted by vwgti1986 »

Dunno why it wouldn't be safe to drive it since it's only warning you of a low oil pressure condition that doesn't exist. Just ground the wire out and you should silence the warning.
A while back when I suspected my oil pump was going, I hooked in a cheapo mehcanical oil pressure gauge at the same location as that switch. Not in place of the switch, but on a T. The tubing for the guage changed the pressure just enough for the switch that the warning light kept coming on. I grounded it out until I removed the guage.
stef

I was thinking that too, but got a little unsure when the oil light/buzzer whent on
just had to be sure
Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

if you're gonna drive w/out it, just make sure you got oil...nothing worse that running a motor w/out it's lifeblood!

·
Banned
5,589 Posts
Re: Oil temp switch (dubidoobs)

Quote, originally posted by dubidoobs »

$20!? Where did you buy that? Rapid?
You can get both high and low oil pressure switches from the dealer for about $15 at retail prices.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Re: Oil temp switch (Phobia16V)

Quote, originally posted by Phobia16V »

$20!? Where did you buy that? Rapid?
You can get both high and low oil pressure switches from the dealer for about $15 at retail prices.

Yup, I got mine for a few bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts