VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water temperature is fine, but my oil temperature is getting up to 105 degrees celsius. It gets hotter the faster I go. Anybody know what the problem could be. My radiator does not leak and my fan works fine.
Thanks

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Oil temperature getting to high, please help! (RabbitCage)

What weight of oil are you using? Since you are in Florida (hot summers), you should be using at least 20W50. Does the car have a factory oil cooler, since I am guessing you are asking about the GTI?
105 degrees Celsius is about 221 degrees (F) which is not that hot for an oil temperature on a hot summer day.
If the car has an oil cooler, it may not be functioning right. If the cooler is original, then the rods in the oil cooler core may be sludged up after many years of usage. Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Oil temperature getting to high, please help! (WackyWabbitRacer)

yeah
105 isn't bad
on a 90+ degree day, i drove 850 miles at speeds around 80mph... was at 110*C with the factory water-to-oil cooler...
i was fine with that
my 84 gti ran 110-115 all the time, till i added a small cheap oil cooler w/ sandwich plate, and water wetter to the coolent... even then i was running 105

·
Registered
20,312 Posts
Re: Oil temperature getting to high, please help! (ABA Scirocco)

105* C on the oil is nothing. Mine usually runs ~130* C in the summer, going down the highway at 4k rpm. I didn't even bother to look at it in the race car, as it used to pin the gauge.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: Oil temperature getting to high, please help! (Mk1Racer)

Alright then, as long as a thread is open and you're all telling him not to sweat 105, how bout helping ME out
? I run a consistent minimum of 110* at 100kmh. If I push it up to 110kmh on the freeway, the oil temp goes to ~120*. Faster = higher, and it's quite disturbing. I drive the freeway everyday to work and Im not so confident in my little bastard bunny.
I have a pretty much 'new' motor, as the head was rebuilt and P&P a year ago in August, and the block is off a lower miles A2 (RD code) than my original JH. Before I blew the old motor oil temps would be constent with speed... 100kmh = 100*, 110=110*, 160 (top speed) would eventually peg the gauge. So after having the motor rebuilt the temps went down to being at the highest 100* if I was cruising at 180kmh for a while... then one day, they just SHOT up to where they are now.
So I run 20w50 which probably ain't so good for summer. An oil change is due this coming weekend though, so I can change that. I don't have an oil cooler but then again, when it was running really cool a few months ago I didn't have one then either. So is there anything I can do? Maybe add something to the oil? Is a coolant passage slightly blocked or something?
TIA...

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Oil temperature getting to high, please help! (Speedemon)

As you are aware, oil temps will be cooler in the "winter" months than the summer, hotter months of the year. Without an oil cooler, the engine is depending on the radiator to keep both the coolant and the oil in check. Did you have an oil cooler on the old engine?
Without some type of oil cooler, you will see possibly a gradual increase in oil temp with an increase in engine speed. Harder the engine works, more BTU's are generated.
Was the A2 engine totally rebuilt with new rod and main bearings, etc. when it was installed or was it just a swap? If it was a swap, then the bearings may be getting a little worn, causing more internal friction and higher oil temp.
If you are not running 20W50 in the summer months, I would advise using a good quality 20W50 oil. A friend who builds race engines said that Castrol is the best non-synthetic engine oil that you can buy off the shelf at an aftermarket parts store. He has tested different brands of oils on the dyno and Castrol gave the best performance in terms of power and bearing life. Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
413 Posts
notice on the gague that at 150 there is red. red means danger...so until it hits the danger zone , dont worry. my 2.0: 8v runs at about 100 all the time..and ifi i m doing some spirited driving it can reach 120. for someone who drives a mark1 you worry way to much.
brad

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
ha. hope that wasn't aimed at me
WWR, I run castrol 20w50 in my car at pretty much all times. Coolant temps never leave the first 1/4 of the gauge except in traffic where itll hit half and then the fan turns on. The RD block was just a swap, but had lower mileage than my tired (and dead) JH that I replaced.
Who knows. I rebuilt the head and valvetrain to handle 8K RPM... an old block I guess wouldn;t like that too much especially after a life of max 6200RPM shifts. Probably the bearings were worn enough that my 'spirited' wanna-be-drag-racer 7200RPM driving habits killed em enough to increase drag in the engine. As long as it doesnt hurt anything too much... Id just like to hear an answer of something I hadnt thought of, some magical part I was missing or something, or maybe a blocked oil/coolant passage I could check. Since it seems all my bases are covered, Ill forget about it:)
And about that danger comment... ive been there. When theres money in the engine and things change for the worse, why NOT worry? It ususally means more money is about to depart from my bank account when something goes wrong, and im not into that:) Trying to save up for a bike here so I can have a toy to play with thats not my daily driver!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts