VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: Oil temperature getting to high, please help! (Mk1Racer)

Alright then, as long as a thread is open and you're all telling him not to sweat 105, how bout helping ME out
? I run a consistent minimum of 110* at 100kmh. If I push it up to 110kmh on the freeway, the oil temp goes to ~120*. Faster = higher, and it's quite disturbing. I drive the freeway everyday to work and Im not so confident in my little bastard bunny.
I have a pretty much 'new' motor, as the head was rebuilt and P&P a year ago in August, and the block is off a lower miles A2 (RD code) than my original JH. Before I blew the old motor oil temps would be constent with speed... 100kmh = 100*, 110=110*, 160 (top speed) would eventually peg the gauge. So after having the motor rebuilt the temps went down to being at the highest 100* if I was cruising at 180kmh for a while... then one day, they just SHOT up to where they are now.
So I run 20w50 which probably ain't so good for summer. An oil change is due this coming weekend though, so I can change that. I don't have an oil cooler but then again, when it was running really cool a few months ago I didn't have one then either. So is there anything I can do? Maybe add something to the oil? Is a coolant passage slightly blocked or something?
TIA...

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
ha. hope that wasn't aimed at me
WWR, I run castrol 20w50 in my car at pretty much all times. Coolant temps never leave the first 1/4 of the gauge except in traffic where itll hit half and then the fan turns on. The RD block was just a swap, but had lower mileage than my tired (and dead) JH that I replaced.
Who knows. I rebuilt the head and valvetrain to handle 8K RPM... an old block I guess wouldn;t like that too much especially after a life of max 6200RPM shifts. Probably the bearings were worn enough that my 'spirited' wanna-be-drag-racer 7200RPM driving habits killed em enough to increase drag in the engine. As long as it doesnt hurt anything too much... Id just like to hear an answer of something I hadnt thought of, some magical part I was missing or something, or maybe a blocked oil/coolant passage I could check. Since it seems all my bases are covered, Ill forget about it:)
And about that danger comment... ive been there. When theres money in the engine and things change for the worse, why NOT worry? It ususally means more money is about to depart from my bank account when something goes wrong, and im not into that:) Trying to save up for a bike here so I can have a toy to play with thats not my daily driver!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts