VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 91 8v; I'm running 14W-40 non-synth oil and had, until the past few weeks, been getting oil temps around 100 deg C for normal driving and slightly higher for really hard driving (about 110 deg C). Yesterday, with ambient temps pretty high (I think 80-90 deg F), I was getting oil temps up near 130 deg C with sustained high-speed driving on the interstate. 130 deg C is approx 266 deg F, if my math is correct

My cooling system *seems* to work, as the coolant temp gauge was indicated slightly-above-halfway when it was working (it works intermittantly; when it doesn't work, the light blinks and the gauge drops to "completely cold"; this seems to be a wiring fault whereas the tests in the Bentley--grounding the signal wire--have not produced the proper results).
Anyhow, the coolant being in a reasonable place on the gauge would seem to suggest that the cooling system is working, at least well enough if not perfectly. Do I just need to run better oil? Or should I assume that the cooling system isn't quite working well enough and I need to do further repairs?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: oil temps (sparty)

I'd start with replacing the sensor. for $10-20 bucks, it's a cheap way to make sure it's not just reading wrong. 110C is about as hot as I'd expect to be normal, that's what 16v guys see all the time. 130 is definitely too high, imho. Thicker oil shouldn't help it cool, but if you're running that hot, you should use it just so it doesn't break down and make the problem worse, I'd say.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Re: oil temps (sparty)

My 2.0 16v running with Castrol 20/50 runs 208 F to on a hot day in trafic it runs about 222F. C I dont know what it converts to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts