VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone know what brand and type of oil is placed in our turbo engines when they are built. I'm just curious to know whether we can buy it and local stores.
Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: Oil used in the factory for 1.8T Jetta (sacherel)

i heard 1st hand from a tech that asked this during a trip to a german VW plant and the answer was they use nothing special in the oil, however i have heard it is good to leave it in there until 5K miles before changing

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

I think they use special oil, designed to pick up any pieces of metal or other things that enter into the oil during break-in.
Get your first oil change at 5000mi

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: Oil used in the factory for 1.8T Jetta (TurboDave18t)

How??? What do you mean by picking up pieces of metal shavings from the engine? That is abusurd. It's either synthetic or regular dino. There is nothing special about it. Follow the oil change schedule in your owners manual.
As far as buying the oil they put in your engine at the factory, why? I'm sure they're not putting really great stuff in like Mobile 1 or Amsoil, why would you want to buy it? Even if they are using a synthetic, who cares what it is they are using, do you think it's going to be better quality than Mobile 1 or Amsoil? Of course not.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: Oil used in the factory for 1.8T Jetta (DGS)

I had my first oil change sample analyzed from the first drain out of my 2000 VR6. The numbers show it was a 5w-40, most probably synthetic.
Myself and another local VR6 driver have since experimented with Mobil 1 5w-30 and Valvoline synthetic 5w-40 in various seasons, and the 5w-40 Valvoline has produced the best numbers from analysis reports.
In the span of my last oil cycle, 8,500 miles, the oil level on the dipstick fell by perhaps a millimeter or two from the mark I made with the fresh fill, almost nothing - consumption of a few ounces at most. I am satisfied with the 5w-40, and feel VW's recommendation of this grade is well founded for my VR6.
To my knowledge, VW once used an oil formulated for break-in, perhaps a lower detergency oil - but discontinued its use sometime in the mid '90's.

[Modified by silver12, 10:23 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Oil used in the factory for 1.8T Jetta (DGS)

The reason I'm asking is that I changed my oil to Mobil 1 on the 5000 miles service and I hate it, the car doesn't feel when compared to before the oil change and I've only done 2000 miles since Mobil 1 was put in.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

i have called a few dealers in the past about my 2002 turbo gti and they said it's 5w-30 castrol. so guess what i put in there at 5k. same stuff. at 10k it will get castrol sythetic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts