VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few posts on here regarding oil viscosity at start up. I became curious as to how multi-viscosity oils work. I learned in auto shop class in high school, and in training while working for Discount Auto Parts, but i couldn't remember exactly how it worked, so i pulled out the ol' shop manual, and did a lil online research, and found a lil good info. I hope this helps everyone understand how it works..it refreshed my memory :-D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Multi viscosity oils work like this: Polymers are added to a light base (5W, 10W, 20W), which prevent the oil from thinning as much as it warms up. At cold temperatures the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Re: Oil Viscosity (01silverGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.[HR][/HR]​
It was my understanding that the higher the number the thicker it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts