VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, RTFM -- but I need to pick up oil for my wife's Cabrio on the way home from work, and I don't have the manual available between now and then -- thanks in advance.
I live in GA, which is in the 90°-100° this time of year, by the way.

·
Registered
23,991 Posts
Re: Oil weight for 2.0? (BrandonM7)

I lot of people around here use 5w 30.....I use 5w 30 Mobil 1 full synthetic.....why don't you switch this time around....if your not using synthetic already. It's alittle more e3xpensive but you can actually go longer in between oil changes. I change mine about every 5K or so and have never had a problem....I've used Mobil 1 on my last 2 VW's and I don't think I'm turning back at this point.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: Oil weight for 2.0? (hwySTAR)

quote:[HR][/HR]pick up a case of it, cause if your 2.crap is like mine, it will burn lots of oil
[HR][/HR]​
LMAO..... My experience with my 2.0 I had was using Castrol GTX 10-40... it burned off less... I would use a 5-40 Mobil 1 for winter or summer if you want to go synthetic.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: Oil weight for 2.0? (BrandonM7)

VW reccomends 5w30 engine oil.The cabrio will not burn oil like the new Jetta 2.0 will. the cabrio still uses the old 2.0 form the A3 body style. On the new 2.0 The piston rings fuses to the pistion so the center piston ring does not clean the cylinder wall and it glazes and blow by occurs. VW has an updated piston ring out. i have also seen the harded to run your engine the less blow by because the rings become less likely to fuse to the piston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts