VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real quick...I need to buy new spark plugs pretty bad. I've had the motor 2 1/2 years and haven't replaced the plugs yet (I know, I know). The last couple weeks the car's been real sputtery both on initial takeoff from first gear, and also I noticed if I'm at a low RPM and I step on the gas, it shakes pretty bad like the engine's missing. I know the wires are good so I'll just replace the plugs & see what happens. The engine's also been pinging a little on hard acceleration/WOT.
So, my real point to this thread is, what brands have proven to be good for you 16v people? I'm probably going to buy some tonight or tomorrow night & replace them immediately.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (2Dr16vJettaGirl)

I run NGK Vpowers in mine didnt like that bosch platiums not worth money to me they were around $20 for the bosch and $9 for the NGK which are much better IMO

[Modified by JdubsVW, 4:30 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (JdubsVW)

cool, I am a 16vers

from what I know since I am in the 16v world bosch silver are very good, this is what my mechanic recommend and installed in my car! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (JdubsVW)

sorry i dont have enough valves... but i am running ngks aswell and im having a fitment issue with the plug wires... haven't decided if its the plugs or the wires yet... but for now im gunna blame the plus.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (ghostrider)

Eric, she's cool...she'll kick yer ass, but she's cool
And I love how it's always brought up that you don't have enuf valves, so i had to quote ya finally

Soooo it's looking like a race between NGK and Bosch so far...one other thing, the one-prongs are sufficient I take it? I don't need to mess around with the four-prong crap do I?

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (MorpheusMac)

i almost swear my ngks have 3 prongs?
you dont have to mess around anymore depending on the prong count...
side note.. if you are running nos and use platinum plugs.. they will melt
just a side comment...
keep on rockin thanks for quoting me.
p.s. the le5p will have some serious changes as of about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I don't need to mess around with the four-prong crap do I?[HR][/HR]​
You mean you dont want the Special Edition Arnold Schwarzennegger Terminator Morphing Spark plugs?
I have the triple ones I think, but that is the first pic that I found.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (jervwgti)

I really wanted to get the Bosch +4's.... but they dont make them for the 16v's

I found some NGK's that have 3 prongs on them, they seem to work fine for me. I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who say to run OE, but I like to expierment some

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

I would stay away from the bosh platinum for 16v applications...i've been told that these plugs are not good for the 16 engine as they tend to run hotter and there is a possible risk of piston damage.
I've since switched to bosch silbers...they ran very good and lately i am running the beru plugs...no complaints from any of these plugs except from my wallet

HTH

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Re: OK 16Vers, I need your opinions... (VWbohica)

While I don't have a 16v, I'll put my .02 in. I use Bosch Slivers for my 8v, and bosch plat. for my VR6

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.