VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres seem a reasonable choice,
and I have a ball park price of $290 a corner...
Please - any suggestions on other 225/45/17" tyres you
have found reasonable and not too expensive?
Many thanks in advance
Dave
--
2001 Golf Generation - UniFilter Air Pod - Oettinger Rear Box - 17" 225/45 Momos - Oettinger Springs - the look on country folk's faces when my shiny black 1.6l auto takes 50km/h signposted corners at 100km/h... Priceless

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (Dr Alban)

SO-3's, I told my friend about it and he bought some for his car, he loves it and is getting another set to boot.
P6000, quite sticky, very stiff tyre, but when it lets go, it lets go quite suddenly. Not bad water repelling properties, you can really feel it slowing down over water holes, quite resistant to aquaplaning. and sticks okay in the wet. Quite durable.
Michelin Pilot Sports, shockingly expensive, but VERY GOOD TYRE, wet and dry. Lasts quite long, about 40000kms. Progressive and sticky, can be quite screechy at the limit, but not as loud as the P6000's an doesnt feel as stiff a compound as the Pirellis.
I also liked my Dunlop's, but I forget the name of it. it offered a lot of feel from an excellent car (audi). Maybe it was just the car

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (prana)

yokohama ES100??? u could pick them up for pretty much similar price to the F1 gsd3. how about A539??? i think for the price, michelin and pirelli are out of the question compared to some of the japanese tyres. BF goodrich g force sports??? another inexpensive but a overall good sports tyre. the choices r endless but its all up to the budget u want to spend. never had the chance to try the bridgestones flagship model the s03 but driven on the older gen s02, not bad but found it overpriced. hope it helped

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (prana)

Quote, originally posted by prana »
Michelin Pilot Sports, shockingly expensive, but VERY GOOD TYRE, wet and dry. Lasts quite long, about 40000kms. Progressive and sticky, can be quite screechy at the limit, but not as loud as the P6000's an doesnt feel as stiff a compound as the Pirellis.

My TT rims had Michelin Pilot Sports already fitted to them when I got my rims. Agree with mostly everything there except the 40000kms. My Pilot Sports lasted 25000kms ... how many kms were on them before I bought them is anyone's guess, but I'd be amazed if it was 15000kms, I'd say more like 5000kms.
I have GS-D3s on my car now and have written some stuff about them on here, I'll just go for a search ... hang on a sec.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (act:GTI)

well maybe I never drove it very hard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (act:GTI)

The Michelin Pilots on my GTI i have now done 43,000km and still got half the tred left on them.
They may be expensive but they prob last twice as long as cheeper tyres

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (Craig18turbo)

Craig is that Pilot Sports, or Pilot HX MXM?

The HX MXM's came stock on my Montreal IIs, I got a good 40,000kms before I sold them and they ended up on braddles' car. They are still running on his car now, 12 months later, although they really need changing now! The Pilot Sports, which ringing around I was quoted pricing varying from $380-450, were already fitted to my TT rims when I bought them 2nd hand.
Edit: Add links to tyre names. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by act:GTI at 8:35 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (IML337)

Quote, originally posted by IML337 »
I'd choose anything but them
waaaaaayyyy too much road noise

I spoke to the Yokohama rep at the Brisbane Motor Show. Seems that the AVS ES100's are one of their noisiest tyres. He said this was due to the agressive tread pattern. That being said, I don't think they sound that bad on my car and I think they were a great tyre for $160 each.

·
Registered
30,932 Posts

Okay, found my thoughts on the GS-D3s ... on Club VAG

Quote, originally posted by act:GTI »
15-12-2003
I have done around 1000kms on my GS-D3s now and my initial reactions were that these tyres were absolutely amazing. However, over the short time I have had them there is only one real weakness that I can see, which I'll get to in a moment. Also, at this stage, I am yet to drive the car in the wet with the new tyres.

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GS-D3s 225/45/17 (Made in Germany)
Pros
Oh so quiet. The car seems to run smoother now than before--in fact, with the old Michelins it kind of felt like the wheels were out of balance, there used to be a funny droning kind of sound in braking with the old Pilots too, all gone now with the GS-D3s I'm pleased to say. Grip has been markedly better than the Pilots, although how much this reflects the wear on the Pilot Sports I'm not too sure. I can go through some of my favourite Canberra corners a bit quicker than before and overall I feel a hell of a lot more confident with the GS-D3s at the moment.
Cons
Sidewalls! I may not be making the right comment here, but to me, it feels like the sidewalls on these tyres are a bit weaker than any other tyre I have had. 95% of the time they're fine, but on a downhill corner the car almost feels as if the tyres are sliding around on the rims. I noticed that Wal had commented that his GS-D3s were prone to a bit of squealing. Initially, even with hard cornering, my tyres were dead quiet, now though, after being scrubbed in, through hard cornering they will get a bit vocal. But not a high pitched squealing, more of a grunting sound and you can almost hear the tyres gripping. Again this would happen more so on a downhill corner, must be something to do with the load on the car/gravity I guess.
Overall
I'd probably give these tyres a 7.5-8 out of 10. But for the 25% off deal that Goodyear had, and sidewall issues aside, I'm absolutely rapt with them.

Since then I have had a bit of go in the wet with these tyres. Probably because my expectations are so high for these tyres I have been a little disappointed in their wet weather performance. Having said that, they are at least the equal to, if not a little better, than my old Pilot Sports.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,330 Posts

well, dunno if this helps... but i got 225.50R16 on my golf.... ES100
and i am very happy with 'em...
i find they grip hard on the road (i've never taken the car on the track), good lateral stability in the wet, i can overpower them in the wet with the 2.slow and seem to be wearing well
not sure why tim (iml337) has probs with his but maybe cause it is a lower profile version and it is on a different car
at the end of the day, see wot tyre you can get for a reasonable price
seems everyone has different expectations and it all depends on wot car you put them on

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
maybe I don't find mine noisy because they replaced the 'king of noise' P6000s?
like Rob and Ant I'm really happy with what I chose, quite a few times I chucked the car around a corner that I didn't expect it to handle but the tyres just kept on gripping

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (Dr Alban)

I'd recommend Bridgestone Potenza S03s as i have them on the GTI, great performance tyre for about $290 each. Though they are a little heavy in comparison to other tyres and i've heard they can be loud but i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.
I have Bridgestone Potenza RE040s on the 350Z and they seem like a decent tyre (they come standard on STIs as well) good grip and but i think the S03s have a little more.
For good value, try and get your hands on some Bridgestone Potenza S02s. They are out of production i believe but there are still some lying around. They came standard on S2000s and i've been quoted $208 fitted and balanced per tyre, CHEAP!!!

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Re: Ok I have info re: EAGLE F1 GS-D3 tyres... now - other options please? (GLF337)

Quote, originally posted by GLF337 »
I'd recommend Bridgestone Potenza S03s as i have them on the GTI, great performance tyre for about $290 each. Though they are a little heavy in comparison to other tyres and i've heard they can be loud but i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Gotta admit I haven't heard many bad things at all about S-O3s and would give them a whirl without a second thought. To be honest, given they're marketing and the fact they have been used as OEM on Porsches (IIRC
) I would have expected to pay a helluva lot more them than $290 a corner for 17s.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
505 Posts

I've put almost 15,000km on Liam's wheels since I bought them. There is actually a bit left on them before the bumps and they've worn evenly, perhaps because we mainly do highway runs don't push the car to its limits. I don't want them on the car during another cold Canberra Winter as they tend to like a bit of a warm-up before they get down to any gripping!
I'm looking at Dunlop SP Sport 3000E 205/55/16 as an option @ $225 (if I remember correctly) each.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Price / performance wise I think the GS-D3s
are the right stuff.
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts