VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,983 Posts
None. My kids run off with any car at the end of the driveway. But my dirt bike does not get ridden very much. :(

• Sad
Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I think this fall will be year 5 that I haven't ridden my motorcycle. Not coincidentally that coincides with my first born's 5th birthday. I got a rear shock made for it and I have a fork swap sitting in a box waiting to be installed. But my garage is a mess. I have 2 other projects to complete before I can get to the bike that I finally started making progress on. So hopefully I'll get back on this year.

Reactions: atomicalex

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,910 Posts
None; I've got a lot of cars but I actually start to get anxious if I don't drive them for 5 weeks let alone 5 years. I can't stand dead batteries and mothballs and flatspotted tires and such.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I think this fall will be year 5 that I haven't ridden my motorcycle. Not coincidentally that coincides with my first born's 5th birthday. I got a rear shock made for it and I have a fork swap sitting in a box waiting to be installed. But my garage is a mess. I have 2 other projects to complete before I can get to the bike that I finally started making progress on. So hopefully I'll get back on this year.
Those first few years are pretty tough, especially if they are an only child. It does get easier over time though. When your projects are buried in a mess, it helps to go out and tackle cleaning up in blocks, which helps get back in the swing of things.

So, one shouldn‘t collect art?
The difference with cars is that they are inherently large, so collecting them in a way that keeps them relatively clean and safe requires space. In many areas of the country (I'm in New Jersey) it can become prohibitively expensive to collect cars that aren't intended for regular use. I have a couple acres, but the cost of building a detached garage is an upfront expense and will jack my taxes up as it's impervious coverage...

And having a few cars sitting out in the elements (all four seasons hit us in NJ) can devalue a collection pretty quickly, turning it into a quasi junkyard...

I'd love to have a barn or carport where I could squirrel away a couple of cars for later, but in my case it would create a visible cost-add to the household for what amounts to a hobby...

·
Registered
28,567 Posts
Been a few years since I've driven the Moke. Last car show was 2017. Tried to get it inspected in 2018 and the person gave up trying to find it in the system.

Only drove the TT roadster once last year to a small cars and coffee.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,135 Posts
I pulled this out of the garage almost a year ago, for the first time since I'd bought it in 2018. I covered maybe 1,000 miles in it this year before benching it due to chasing an intermittent misfire and a breakdown an hour from home.

While I agree that life's too short to not drive something, I can't think of anything fun that I can daily drive (or would want to drive period) for the $6-7K that this would likely pull.

·
Registered
Mustang | RX-7 | Mazda3 | Ninja 400
10,973 Posts
Not 5 years, but I haven't driven my RX-7 since 2020 since it has been in the shop for a rebuild. COVID completely screwed up that process and it's still sitting in the shop almost 1.5 yrs later.

·
Registered
'18 Ram🐐 '84 Rabbit ☠
2,388 Posts
One. My Rabbit. It has only seen a public road once since 2012. Though technically it was driven twice in 2018, they were barely long enough to qualify as 'shake down' drives.
Currently it is sitting as a shell on a trailer and a bunch of boxes in my shed...
:(
🍺
G

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,339 Posts
Not now, but I had this I bought 25 years ago:

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Drove it home with the intention of doing a full build on it. Gathered parts for a couple years. Then 22 years ago I moved to MD and left it at my folk's house. Had it shipped across the country 5 years ago to work on it, but realized I don't have time and sold it to have something that was already done...

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

So yeah, 22 years of not driving it.

·
Registered
19,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd love to have a barn or carport where I could squirrel away a couple of cars for later, but in my case it would create a visible cost-add to the household for what amounts to a hobby...
It is a hobby. How is collecting art or stereo equipment or coins any different? If you have the means to do something why not do it?

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
Only way I can see siting on a car for 5+ years would be if I bought a restoration candidate to lock in pricing (in fear of being priced out of the market entirely). If I had a running driving car that I didn't drive for over a year, it would be time to sell. Perhaps if I were Jay Leno and essentially had a private museum I might be willing to sit on certain cars. But I think even Leno makes sure all of his running/driving cars are driven from time to time (even if not by him personally). Cars that sit eventually become non-running/driving cars.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts