VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I did see the last topic.. it was unclear as to the final steps though.. I've got an 86 golf with a 2.0 and a 4k tranny. I found a sky blue wire with a blue plug on the end that I think is the wire I need to the ECU. the car has a cluster from an 88 16v gti with MFA. I ran the blue wire to a dark blue and white wire ( 2nd wire in from the fender side on the left cluster plug) and it did not solve my problem. Anyone know what wire I need to tap into? I'd really appreciate it. Garrett de****r said I could not ignore it with a chip upgrade ;( Thanks guys
Brian

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Ok... need help soon.. nonhooked up VSS causing rev limit over 5k (blackgold)

anyone? I'm not putting the car back together until I hook up the right wire.. Thanks.
Brian

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re: Ok... need help soon.. nonhooked up VSS causing rev limit over 5k (blackgold)

quote:[HR][/HR] Garrett de****r said I could not ignore it with a chip upgrade
Thanks [HR][/HR]​
Not true. I bounced off my 6200(around there..going to fast to look) rev limiter the other day racing an MR2....the Autothority chip works for me...If I wanted to I could hold it a 6k for as long as the engine/tranny would last....
Back to the wiring though...are you sure you had the right wires hooked up. Take off your ECU connector and find the blue/white wire. Do a contunity test and make sure that you connect the ECU wire to the cluster wire...I have been too lazy to try it as I have the chip...but I want to clear it up to get rid of my CEL.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Ok... need help soon.. nonhooked up VSS causing rev limit over 5k (PAGTI91)

I did not do the swap. But I found a wire in the dash that was light blue with a white stripe and had a blue plug (fits the description I had gotten for it) and it was labeled VSS and from checking the bentley, it looked like I connected them to the right wire off the cluster.. I'm hoping someone will chime in with the correct one I'm desperate here.. Jeff Moss (formerly velocity) said that if I removed that signal, I might have problems when the engine returned to idle and such.. Thanks for the post
Brian
I've got unlimited calling after 8 if someone could help me over the phone.. just PM your number.. thanks!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts

I think you got it correct.
I have 2.0L OBDII in 88 Golf no mfa, cluster has two plugs wire from outboard plug is dark blue white stripe. Wire to ecu light blue white stripe.
No more cel

Rick

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Re: Ok... need help soon.. nonhooked up VSS causing rev limit over 5k (R)

1st of all what is a VSS?? myabe v speed sensor...anyways...my car is like that too...sometimes i can shift at 6100 and have no problems...but other times at 5400 i hit the rev limiter...i mean...same night...once it happened...other time it didnt....I am guessing this is what u are talking about fixing....I have obd1...how can i fix it??
thanks
Matt

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Ok... need help soon.. nonhooked up VSS causing rev limit over 5k (IwannaGTI)

which blue-white wire though? there are a few.. 2 on one plug? and 1 on the other if I recall correctly... Iwannagti That sounds like the problem.. if you hook your car to a vagcom (if you have the port) you'll get some error codes too from it all. I was told that would solve the rev limiter I hit... and something else I noticed... I don't believe it happens at a certain RPM.. rather being over 5k for so long.. (I'm clueless, so don't hold me to anything I've said
) good luck.. I've got someone who's hopefully gonna help me.. once I get it straightened out, I will let you all know!
Brian

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Re: Ok... need help soon.. nonhooked up VSS causing rev limit over 5k (IwannaGTI)

I am still confused...but i have the stock cluster from my 92 GTI 8v....there is only one large plug going into it...

·
Registered
10,862 Posts

and also...where does the dark blu/white plug from the cluster actually go...it seems you all have read something about this before, but i have not...
The speed sensor? Or the ECU?? Who has pictures

·
Registered
10,027 Posts

I just fixed this problem with my car the other day. My buddy from Wicked Performance here in Pa. is also a VW tech at Autohaus Harrisburg. We checked the wiring diagram and here is what I did. I took a wire from the center terminal of the hall sendor on the back of a MFA cluster and ran it through the firewall and into the rain tray where the harness comes out of the ECU. There is a light blue wire with white tracers on it. Just splice into that and it should take care of your problem. I can run my car out as high as I want now and I have a Garrett chip in it. If there are any other questions let me know.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts

If you look on the back of your cluster on that blue film right where is goes into the plug if you look very close it is labeled. It will say hall sender right on it. Or you can just take a wire and flip the hall open and stick the wire in the sender and clap it back down, that is what I did. And you don't need to cut wires, just use a blue clip thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.