VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so some of you probably saw that i was gonna be picking up an 05 gli the other night, yeah well i put that on held well actually my mom did till saturday cause we need to figure this out, the day before i was gonna pick it up my mom called the insurance lady and she said that its gonna be 1400$ every six months for me on the 05 gli, but only as an occasional driver, not even just me, the 04.5 gli is 1200$ every six months since its not "brand" new but that is still pricy, 200$ a month that i have to pay myself...
my question is for anyone that has insurance experience or anyone that owns a 20th and a gli and can compare the insurance
what does everyone think my best bet will be on insurance the 20th or the GLI, i am only 16 (yeah yeah i dont wanna hear it)
oh and the reason im not asking the insurance agent is she is on vacation and im gonna buy the car while she is gone so i gotta go by what i find here...
thanks

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (RoccoCurci)

thanks
[/QUOTE]
16 year olds aren't supposed to drink beer.
I think the insurance will be slightly LESS for the GLI because as cars age, more things go wrong with them...hence more repairs...hence more cost to the insurance companies. I say only slightly less because there is only one year difference between the two cars.

· Registered
12,209 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (theskippur)

I'd say it'll be slightly less, because a major difference between the GTI and Jetta is 2 doors vs. 4 doors. That (from what I hear) is a somewhat significant part of it all. Both cars are new enough that I don't think insurance companies are going to be comparing one versus the other (in age.)

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (theskippur)

put it under your mom and say that she is the only driver. If you have other cars insured with the same company then tell them to put you as a part time driver of the oldest car that you have. that way if you get in an accident in your gli it should still cover it because you are insured under a car that is in the family. It will make a huge difference. Thats how we did it when i first started driving. They put me as a part time driver of a 94 ford cargo van. I got into 2 accidents(1 was my fault) with my 01 jetta and had no problems getting it fixed under my policy

· Registered
595 Posts

At 16 years old, ANY car is going to be expensive to insure. Roughly 70% of your insurance cost at that age is LIABILITY, which doesn't change much between cars. If you were to get an SUV or pickup then you might see drastic differences, but most passenger cars are very close in price for the liability portion. Once you get a few years driving experience, provided you don't get loads of tickets or accidents, it will drop substantially.
Unless you have money to burn, get a used car for a few years and save money for a new VW later.
If your insurance agent didn't explain this to you, find a new one.

· Registered
8,294 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (GLI_1.8T)

See if your parents will stray away from their insurance company and go with lower rates through someone like Progressive or Erie Insurance Co (the latter if its available to you). I know when I had my 03 Civic Si I paid $1168 every 6 months under my parents. Now a year later, I pay $755 every six months for my GLI under my own name. The Civic was under Allstate Insurance, I have Progressive now. Good luck, however, I'll be the first one to bust your balls when you wreck it. I don't think 16 year olds should drive $25k cars.

· Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: ok ok my last post about this (audomatik)

why do i get so much **** about my age, im paying for half the car pretty much ( my own money,and i take over payments in a year ) so the car is really only about $13,000 or less, i think probably half my school drives cars that cost that or more than that so what is wrong with it, plus can i just hear the end of the age bull**** and get unbiased opinions?
p.s. never had a beer in my life

thanks to the people that gave me honest guesses and paid no attention to my age

· Registered
754 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (audomatik)

If my little brother was driving a new vehicle at his age I'd punch him in the nose. It will inevitably become damaged, wrecked, his friends would f it up etc. Bottom line, you are an endangerment to yourself and others on the road, therefore, you pay out the ass for this priviledge.

p.s. Suck it up and pay the insurance, otherwise drive a beater.

Modified by harv2892 at 11:48 PM 11-17-2004

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (harv2892)

Ok, being only 19 I can understand rocco. When I was in high school there were kids driving brand new bmw 3 series, mercedes, expensive SUV's... and i was driving a beat up 94 2.0 golf that i put every last cent into. When the 20th came out i knew i had to have on for myself. I tried everything i could do to get my parents to help with the payments (promising to pay them back, doing extra good in school), but they wouldnt budge. Now a year and a bit later I am in college, and making myself a nice amount of money in the summers and was finally able to afford the car, and the insane insurance on my own.
Here is my personal problem with judging all teenagers as wreckless fools that shouldn't be allowed to drive cars that guys are 5 years older then us drive. If we are paying for the cars on our own what is the difference? Yes there are kids that get these cars because their parents are loaded and the kids are spoiled... But rocco is ovbiously not one of these kids, ive seen him online asking every last question there is about finding the best deal on a gli, which really shows me that this guy is working his hardest to get the car of his dreams.
To the guy that is ripping on rocco for being an endangerment to himself and everyone else on the road. I dont know about you, but paying for my own car, really makes me think twice before I get a little throttle happy, and wrap my beloved 20th around a tree. I personally take better care of my car then i take of myself, and would never do anything to hurt it, but more importantly kill myself, or kill anyone else, and I am fairly sure rocco is the same way i am.
Give the guy a break. Hes the same as all of you, he loves dubs and wants a GLI... why beat the kids dream down?
But to help you out a little bit rocco, look around, if you arent the primary driver that is a very high price to be paying for your 6 month premium. I have full insurance under my name and I am paying less than that. Shop around. Progressive has some really good teenager rates, but im pretty sure you need to be insured for 6 months before you can go progressive (at least in NY). ive heard esurance.com has very good rates, never checked it out though.
Good luck with everything bro! Hope it all goes well, and enjoy the car!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,333 Posts

Im 18. My first car, a 96 2.0l GTi, was $150 a month (full coverage under me). My 20AE is $240 a month with a clean record and three different discounts (good student, steer clear, drivers Ed.). Its spendy.

· Registered
595 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RoccoCurci »
why do i get so much **** about my age, im paying for half the car pretty much ( my own money,and i take over payments in a year ) so the car is really only about $13,000 or less, i think probably half my school drives cars that cost that or more than that so what is wrong with it, plus can i just hear the end of the age bull**** and get unbiased opinions?
p.s. never had a beer in my life

thanks to the people that gave me honest guesses and paid no attention to my age

Just to set the record straight, my comment was about FACTS and in no way was a knock about you being 16. At your age, insurance will be expensive, PERIOD. You can be the most responsible 16 year old in CA, and it doesn't mean jack sh#t to your insurance company.
I agree, try progressive or one of the discount providers. Problem is almost ALL companies base your rates not just on age (which to them = driving experience), but on your credit score, driving record and the length of time you've been insured with them. You have all of that working AGAINST you.
As far as everyone else giving you crap about age, don't sweat it. If you can afford to spend $150-$200 a month on insurance + car payments at the age of 16 all the power to you. I know people my age (34) who drive WORSE than most teenagers and are more of a danger. BUT, they're older so to the insurance company they're viewed as less of a risk. It's ALL about statistics, nothing more.
BUT, if you can live with a good used car for a few years, you'll save hundreds of dollars in the long run waiting it out. If you need to worry about money, paying for college, etc....it's something to consider.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PS - I bought a new car when I was 18, wasted a ton of money, and in the long run it left me spending ALL my money on the car (mostly insurance) to the point where I couldn't enjoy it or do much but pay bills for 3 years until it was paid off. Being 'car poor' is extremely unenjoyable. You also have to figure regualr maintenance and wear and tear items, not just the cost of payments and insurance. VWs need to be well maintained to last long.

Modified by njbongo at 5:18 AM 11-18-2004

Modified by njbongo at 5:24 AM 11-18-2004

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (njbongo)

2 doors and 4 doors is a HUGE deal. Almost a 500 dollar difference. (My friend went from an 03 cooper S to the 04.5 GLI (thanks to me haha) and his insurance dropped off around 500. I got quotes and 4 doors is great to have. I just like the GTI better cause I like hatches and like the headroom in back....you know...for the passengers.
Good luck with what ya do.
Adam

· Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: ok ok my last post about this (dmonitto)

Quote, originally posted by dmonitto »
Ok, being only 19 I can understand rocco. When I was in high school there were kids driving brand new bmw 3 series, mercedes, expensive SUV's... and i was driving a beat up 94 2.0 golf that i put every last cent into. When the 20th came out i knew i had to have on for myself. I tried everything i could do to get my parents to help with the payments (promising to pay them back, doing extra good in school), but they wouldnt budge. Now a year and a bit later I am in college, and making myself a nice amount of money in the summers and was finally able to afford the car, and the insane insurance on my own.
Here is my personal problem with judging all teenagers as wreckless fools that shouldn't be allowed to drive cars that guys are 5 years older then us drive. If we are paying for the cars on our own what is the difference? Yes there are kids that get these cars because their parents are loaded and the kids are spoiled... But rocco is ovbiously not one of these kids, ive seen him online asking every last question there is about finding the best deal on a gli, which really shows me that this guy is working his hardest to get the car of his dreams.
To the guy that is ripping on rocco for being an endangerment to himself and everyone else on the road. I dont know about you, but paying for my own car, really makes me think twice before I get a little throttle happy, and wrap my beloved 20th around a tree. I personally take better care of my car then i take of myself, and would never do anything to hurt it, but more importantly kill myself, or kill anyone else, and I am fairly sure rocco is the same way i am.
Give the guy a break. Hes the same as all of you, he loves dubs and wants a GLI... why beat the kids dream down?
But to help you out a little bit rocco, look around, if you arent the primary driver that is a very high price to be paying for your 6 month premium. I have full insurance under my name and I am paying less than that. Shop around. Progressive has some really good teenager rates, but im pretty sure you need to be insured for 6 months before you can go progressive (at least in NY). ive heard esurance.com has very good rates, never checked it out though.
Good luck with everything bro! Hope it all goes well, and enjoy the car!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

finally someone understands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dude that seriously made my day ahahahahahaha
anyhow thanks for the info guys, its hard to explain the entire situation im in, and im sure not everyone wants to know

Modified by RoccoCurci at 12:27 AM 11-19-2004

· Registered
2,888 Posts
Re: ok ok my last post about this (njbongo)

Insurance is retarted! Its soo hard to find something that will work but trust me you will! I had to shop around a LOT because people were quoting me 6k a year
WTF but then I finally found a place under my parrents name for 600 every 6 and thats the best I could find. And what that dude said about car payments draining you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to that. Its horrible. I work HARD all summer to keep that car all winter when I am at school. Its soooo worth it comming outta the house to see it
So I say do what you can to get it if you dont mind sacraficing some things and about the maint. If you can live without modding then your all good! Warrenty baby!

· Registered
8,294 Posts
I wasn't ragging on you for being 16. I just think a lot of us, no matter if we like to admit it or not, did some really stupid **** our first 6mos to a year driving. Whether it be letting all the windows down on a sunny day and then have it storm and monsoon outside an hour later and have to drive home in a water soaked interior or just running into **** ie: mailboxes, parked cars, parking curbs, etc. I am just glad I had my $2200 Honda Prelude that I could work out all the kinks of driving in. I don't know how man times I scraped that front bumper on parking blocks and that **** sat almost 6 inches of the ground. How will you feel when you're parking and you smack that front lip? It's not gonna feel too good, especially being a brand new car. Sure I would've loved to have my GLI when I was in high school, but its kinda good I got to learn on a POS. It makes me really appreciate what I have now, what I work for and that it's all my own. That's cool that you're helping you mom out with the payments. I wish my rents would've been as cool to risk their credit on me... haha. For real tho, check out Progressive. BIG HELP in insurance.

· Registered
116 Posts
Re: (volkswerks)

I am 23 and I was paying around 1000 every six months for my 20th, and nowafter getting a second car it dropped like 250 bucks every six months for multi car discount and what not.
But i say get whatever makes you happy and enjoy it.
Life is short, so you might as well live it up while you can.
And about the age thing, I am sure half the people that are ripping you for your age are just jealous they couldnt afford such a nice car at that age. So dont sweat it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.