VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Putting Schrick cams into my VR6, ahem, paying a good Audi mechanic to put them in, cost me 1200. The cams cost me a 1000. Early adopter (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖). Stock 24v VR6: 190 wheel...With cams: 240 wheel. The nice thing about these Schrick cams is that you barely notice them, other than a nice engine noise, until you put the engine above 5500 rpms, which happens in a heartbeat! Keep your foot into it until 7000 rpm, shift and repeat until you run out of gears, and I hope your tires/brakes are up to it! Rarely done, of course, as one rarely encounters the right conditions on public roads. I didn't do this for "resale" value...I did it for the enjoyment it brings me! I take very good care of my car: good oil, great brakes, regular fluid changes (brake fluid as well as oil changes), DSG oil changes, Haldex oil changes...Smoke that thang'!!! ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

Thanks for filling me in. Yeah, a lot of this depends upon where you live too. If you're not going on tracks, loading all that horsepower into a car like this living in a densely populated area becomes mostly pointless, because you really can't fully exercise it legally. There is that visceral quality of having the power on-hand and the sound of the exhaust... but if all that cost and effort was mostly for that, it's hard to justify. Like you said, "serious dollars." The other thing is, it's not like major performance boosting a car adds a lot of value either. In some cases, it can make it hard to sell a car, because the average person sees "modified" and then it throws in doubt about the car's care (driven hard) and reliability (mods can fail). That is, unless you are able to get interest from someone who would want to do said mods and then sees a chance to get it cheaper than the full cost of doing it.

I'm living in a densely populated area, and with 83k on an 11 year old car, just won't make much sense to do any major performance mods. But I may consider doing some smaller mods that don't cost much (not really concerned about resale at this point). In any case, I am a little curious about the VR6 and will have to test drive a stock used one. :)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Putting Schrick cams into my VR6, ahem, paying a good Audi mechanic to put them in, cost me 1200. The cams cost me a 1000. Early adopter (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖). Stock 24v VR6: 190 wheel...With cams: 240 wheel. The nice thing about these Schrick cams is that you barely notice them, other than a nice engine noise, until you put the engine above 5500 rpms, which happens in a heartbeat! Keep your foot into it until 7000 rpm, shift and repeat until you run out of gears, and I hope your tires/brakes are up to it! Rarely done, of course, as one rarely encounters the right conditions on public roads. I didn't do this for "resale" value...I did it for the enjoyment it brings me! I take very good care of my car: good oil, great brakes, regular fluid changes (brake fluid as well as oil changes), DSG oil changes, Haldex oil changes...Smoke that thang'!!! ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

Don't forget another $1500 for custom Tune. I've been considering them but @ $3700 you're halfway to the price of an installed and tuned Supercharger.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ancillaries! I got the HPA DSG tune from Marcel on his first tour, and the UM engine tune years later right before the cams went in. I know a supercharger would be nice, but...I'm all registered here. And, the engine is still bulletproof!

There's Ponto over there, shaking his head, and riding comfortable in luxury! ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,164 ·
Ancillaries! I got the HPA DSG tune from Marcel on his first tour, and the UM engine tune years later right before the cams went in. I know a supercharger would be nice, but...I'm all registered here. And, the engine is still bulletproof!

There's Ponto over there, shaking his head, and riding comfortable in luxury! ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hahaha yup.

But did got for a rip with my buddy in his Ttrs.
Akrapovic exhaust, tuned etc. So good.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Thread Hijack. My new ride (08 VR6 manual 8J TT) sitting next to my A3 (08 VR6 DSG 8P A3) and I get to still carry my A3 card. Sorry Ponto.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,167 ·
Thread Hijack. My new ride (08 VR6 manual 8J TT) sitting next to my A3 (08 VR6 DSG 8P A3) and I get to still carry my A3 card. Sorry Ponto.

Bought a TT eh Jim?
I didn't know you were changing careers to become a hair dresser... and at your age none-the-less.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Bought a TT eh Jim?
I didn't know you were changing careers to become a hair dresser... and at your age none-the-less.
More than half tempted to quote that comment in the 8J thread with your address :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
More than half tempted to quote that comment in the 8J thread with your address :)
Yeah, it's definitely a "don't knock it until you tried it." TT is an excellent sports car with precise handling. But for me, I'd go with the TTQR--convertible opens everything up (instead of the dark cave of a coupe, with no sunroof).

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,170 ·
Yeah, it's definitely a "don't knock it until you tried it." TT is an excellent sports car. But for me, I'd go with the TTQR. The coupe is a bit too confining for my taste.
Haha I've driven TT/TTS/TTRS they are in fact amazing for sure.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Haha I've driven TT/TTS/TTRS they are in fact amazing for sure.
I had a Mark I for just a little over 3 years. Had so much fun with it. Really didn't want to sell, but couldn't logistically support 2 cars without a hassle in my new residence. Still plan on doing what ceese did -- pick up a nice used TT to have as a fun 2nd car, somewhere down the road.

Btw, spotted a 2013 Scuba Blue Allroad in my area. Lots of highway miles so it has 140k burned in on it. But they're asking $11k. If it doesn't move, could probably talk 'em down to $9.5k. But that's only if my A3 gets destroyed or stolen. With all I invested just recently, need to keep it at least another year.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely a "don't knock it until you tried it." TT is an excellent sports car with precise handling. But for me, I'd go with the TTQR--convertible opens everything up (instead of the dark cave of a coupe, with no sunroof).

I get the cave, the TT is also full of blind spots so you have to know how to use your mirrors, but a convertible would ruing the rigidity of the space frame which is one of the wonderful things about it especially combined with the 3.2 VR6 in a manual. It's just a HOOT to drive.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I get the cave, the TT is also full of blind spots so you have to know how to use your mirrors, but a convertible would ruing the rigidity of the space frame which is one of the wonderful things about it especially combined with the 3.2 VR6 in a manual. It's just a HOOT to drive.
I understand, if you're going to drive the car hard. For "spirited" driving, even pushing it into curves on country roads, I didn't notice a deficiency in rigidity. One of these days I'll have to test drive a 3.2 VR6 coupe, though. :cool:

·
Registered
516 Posts
The stock MPG rating between the 2.0T and 3.2 is like -4 city, -5 highway. Have the improvements and tuning you've done on your A3 helped increase MPG efficiency at all?

On the flip side, I was checking out the 2013 Allroad a bit more... a little surprised to find it clocking 0-60mph @ 9.0 sec. My 2.0T can do it in 7.2 sec. And Allroad gets spec mpg of 20/27 while A3 2.0T spec has 23/32 (27.5 average; my average is more like 25, although I can get 32 with all highway driving). I guess Allroad must be heavier, which cuts into the 2.0T performance.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,176 ·
The stock MPG rating between the 2.0T and 3.2 is like -4 city, -5 highway. Have the improvements and tuning you've done on your A3 helped increase MPG efficiency at all?

On the flip side, I was checking out the 2013 Allroad a bit more... a little surprised to find it clocking 0-60mph @ 9.0 sec. My 2.0T can do it in 7.2 sec. And Allroad gets spec mpg of 20/27 while A3 2.0T spec has 23/32 (27.5 average; my average is more like 25, although I can get 32 with all highway driving).
I'm getting over 30mpg on the highway with the allroad tend stage 1. It's the newer Ea888 Gen 3 2L, so little more power but remeber the allroad is 300lbs more than the Vr6 which is 2 or 300 lbs more than the 2L A3.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,177 ·

Lolbump not A3 related. lol :laugh:

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,179 ·
Ponto related. Close enough !! ;)
This thread shall live forever! Muahaha

The guy who bought my A3 is doing a full driveline refresh and tossing a snall in it this winter.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
This thread shall live forever! Muahaha

The guy who bought my A3 is doing a full driveline refresh and tossing a snall in it this winter.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Then I suggest him or you continue posting in this thread 1 :thumbup:

1161 - 1180 of 1193 Posts