VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i was told my car wasnt an MK2 because its a 1988 cabby......lol anyways im having some problems with my MK2 " Cabby" my car is a 1988 VW Golf Cabby, heres the thing in the mornings it doesnt want to start or when its cold, or when the car sits for a while after been driven.when it actually starts it doesnt want to stay rumming and then it feels like is back fireing, i have my gas pedal to the floor and it doesnt want to go at all. but once it i got it started... (20 min later) then the car runs ok how ever it does feel like it hesitates..... please anyone knows let me know thank you....

· Registered
22,448 Posts
Re: Ok so i got kicked out of MK2 forum....lol (SpoolinJetta18T)

No what you have is a A1 VW Cabriolet.
The MK1 is another European designator, never in your Wildest Dreams call it a mk2...............that is an Insult to the Cabby. In America it is never considered a Golf.... IT IS a CABRIOLET
For all your Cabriolet questions see http://www.cabby-info.com
Start with a tune up cap, plugs, wires, rotor, gas filter. timing timing timing
Check for vacuum leaks
Check the WUR (warm up regulator)
Check the salt-n-pepper valves on the passengers strut tower to verify connectivity to the power connectors, and no vacuum leaks.
Check the tube running from the air box to the throttle body for leaks.
Is there any noise from the rear passengers side?

One of the Fellow CIS'ers can elaborate as I am a Digifart kind of guy.

· Registered
18,724 Posts

It's a Mk1; not "an emm-kay-one" nor "a Mk2" nor "an emm-kay-two".

FYI to Americanos: If the car was initially sold in Canada between '88 and '93, the nameplate is indeed Golf Cabriolet.

As to the OP's running problems: First and foremost, read the last page of the Cabriolet Buyer's Guide, then go to http://cabby-info.com/cis.htm , and, finally, test the fuel pumps (and, buy a Bentley Service Manual!).

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Ok so i got kicked out of MK2 forum....lol (kamzcab86)

thank you like i said im new to the VW and cabby world as a matter of face my cabby is all foreign the speedometer is in Kilometers, ive had people offer me 4 times what i paid for it and ummm nah this caby is too clean to let go so easly. i will appreciate all the comments and the info i can get thank you again for the space..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,939 Posts
Re: Ok so i got kicked out of MK2 forum....lol (briano1234)

Quote, originally posted by briano1234 »
No what you have is a A1 VW Cabriolet. With CIS
Start with a tune up cap, plugs, wires, rotor, gas filter. timing timing timing
Check for vacuum leaks
Check the WUR (warm up regulator)
Check the salt-n-pepper valves on the passengers strut tower to verify connectivity to the power connectors, and no vacuum leaks.
Check the tube running from the air box to the throttle body for leaks.

Brian's given a good list of things to check.
Your complaint:
in the mornings it doesnt want to start or when its cold, or when the car sits for a while after been driven.when it actually starts it doesnt want to stay rumming and then it feels like is back fireing, i have my gas pedal to the floor and it doesnt want to go at all. but once it i got it started... (20 min later) then the car runs ok how ever it does feel like it hesitates.....
Your description says it doesn't want to start when it's cold or when it's hot. At least that's what i get from what you said. The backfiring tells me it's may be a vacuum leak or a bad fuel filter.
1. Change the filter. Can't hurt and should be done anyway if not done recently.
2. Check the rubber boots around each end of the tube that connects the airbox to the throttle body. These crack and flex and leak air badly during cranking and acceleration.
3. Check for other vacuum leaks. Brian's list above is excellent.
4. If the WUR is clogged it will only meter fuel correctly for a warmed up engine making cold starting and running almost impossible. This can only be tested with a CIS pressure tester.
A Bentley manual makes all this very clear upon reading . http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Ok so i got kicked out of MK2 forum....lol (Stigmata)

ok guys i replaced the cap and rotor i installed bosh spark plugs the old owner had autolites
i also put in a new air filter however i did try something new i left one side of the airbox and i started the car it sputtered but once i sprayed some engine start fluid on the airbox opem it would idle nice then it would sputter again as long as i sprayed it with the engine statr it would idle ok. any ideas? i will take a video of it when i get home and post it maybe you all can see what im talking about.

Modified by SpoolinJetta18T at 3:53 PM 3-18-2008

· Registered
7,844 Posts

for the billionth time.. thre isnt a CABBY. (just kidding..)
these guys will tell you what time it is when you say "Cabby" or emkay..anything..
must be something in the paint...
what sort of shape is this engine in, how much do you know about it?
could be a dirty idle air valve, bad vacuum lines.. what have you done on your own so far?
curious.. why you talkin ITB when you just wanted to get it running right?
jeez.

Modified by DubPhreek at 3:52 PM 3-18-2008

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.