Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO

[Modified by drm916, 9:36 AM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
644 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (drm916)

I think the EVO is "better", though I bought a BMC. I have a NB so, basically nothing worthwhile fits except for the BMC. Iceman also makes an intake but, they're jerks. I would avoid them since, most of the folks working there are ricers and, they are quite condescending to us Dubbers.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (jasonhouse)

quote:[HR][/HR]Iceman also makes an intake but, they're jerks. I would avoid them since, most of the folks working there are ricers and, they are quite condescending to us Dubbers. [HR][/HR]​
I replied to one of Iceman's posts on here about the thing, and later on I got 2 emails from the marketing director @ Iceman to make sure I got my questions answered. Very friendly.
Like we're not condescending as hell to the Honda fellas...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (Boosted VW)

quote:[HR][/HR] NEITHER , if you don't want to be hassled by the dealer. They will try to void your whole damn warranty because of an intake. Buy something else that won't be so obvious. I don't think they mind a turbo back exhaust as much. And they sure can't see a chip. I don't think the power gains are really worth all the hassle. Just my .02[HR][/HR]​
See my sig...my car already has everything else....The next thing I want is an intake....

[Modified by drm916, 11:46 AM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
910 Posts

I went with the ITG Drop-In filter for multiple reasons. First I saw a bunch of reports where people complained about the amount of heat that the 1.8T generated, and how it was effecting the performance of the Open Air Intake. They showed multiple Dyno's where there was no increase in HP after putting on an open air intake like the EVO. I know the fact that the car may not have been moving has a little to do with this, but in some of the cases there was a loss in HP. Second, the coating that ITG uses will not soak through like the K&N Oil does and clog up the MAF (there have been a lot of noted cases of this very problem). And Third, the price to performance ratio worked better for me. I figured for about 3-5HP on a Drop In($52), compared to 5-8 on soemthing like the EVO($229) it wasn't worth the extra $150 (or so depending on where you get yo stuff). Plus the dealer has nothing to squalk at.
BTW, the dealer cannot void any of your warranty for putting in any kind of Air Filter, Exhaust, or a lot of the other mods we end up doing to our cars. The only thing they can do is deny a warranty claim if they can prove that something that you changed directly caused the problem that your car is experiencing.
I've seem some pics of people who have painted their Air Boxes if it's looks that you're worried about. Never hurts to try something new. If you don't like the looks of it, then you've waisted $3.50 on some paint. Then go out and buy the EVO.

·
Banned
900 Posts

The one in Car and Drivers long term tester went 28,000 miles and it went. This car was stock!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (Golf 2 Slow GLS)

quote:[HR][/HR]The one in Car and Drivers long term tester went 28,000 miles and it went. This car was stock![HR][/HR]​
What is your point?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (VDUBBINDizzy)

quote:[HR][/HR]I agree. ITG all the way.[HR][/HR]​
Where did you guys pick up your ITG's

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (rawlmark)

quote:[HR][/HR]I went with the ITG Drop-In filter for multiple reasons. First I saw a bunch of reports where people complained about the amount of heat that the 1.8T generated, and how it was effecting the performance of the Open Air Intake. They showed multiple Dyno's where there was no increase in HP after putting on an open air intake like the EVO. I know the fact that the car may not have been moving has a little to do with this, but in some of the cases there was a loss in HP. Second, the coating that ITG uses will not soak through like the K&N Oil does and clog up the MAF (there have been a lot of noted cases of this very problem). And Third, the price to performance ratio worked better for me. I figured for about 3-5HP on a Drop In($52), compared to 5-8 on soemthing like the EVO($229) it wasn't worth the extra $150 (or so depending on where you get yo stuff). Plus the dealer has nothing to squalk at.
BTW, the dealer cannot void any of your warranty for putting in any kind of Air Filter, Exhaust, or a lot of the other mods we end up doing to our cars. The only thing they can do is deny a warranty claim if they can prove that something that you changed directly caused the problem that your car is experiencing.
I've seem some pics of people who have painted their Air Boxes if it's looks that you're worried about. Never hurts to try something new. If you don't like the looks of it, then you've waisted $3.50 on some paint. Then go out and buy the EVO. [HR][/HR]​
Seems like you don't know how the EVO works, its a COLD AIR INTAKE, that increases the flow of air by routing cold air from the front bumber. Its also not just about the HP, there is a huge difference in the throttle response on the EVO CAI from a drop-in K&N. I had the drop-in K&N first, then upgraded to the EVO and there is a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (rawlmark)

I put in a ITG cool air filter and I've noticed a big differance. Can they void my warrenty for putting it in?
oops I guess I should of checked first.

[Modified by Billyturbo, 2:50 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (lzg507)

quote:[HR][/HR]Seems like you don't know how the EVO works, its a COLD AIR INTAKE, that increases the flow of air by routing cold air from the front bumber. Its also not just about the HP, there is a huge difference in the throttle response on the EVO CAI from a drop-in K&N. I had the drop-in K&N first, then upgraded to the EVO and there is a difference.[HR][/HR]​
ITs also a LONG air intake. The longer the path the air has travel from the filter to the turbo also affects performance, this time in a negative way. Something to think about. With turbo cars you want the least possible resistance on the inlet side of the compressor and the outlet side of the turbine. Adding length to the intake increases resistance.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
62 Posts

I just installed the BMC CDA and I immediately felt a noticeable increase in HP and acceleration, the car feels much more agile now. I am very happy with it though at first I wasn't sure that it would make much of a difference versus my previous setup (PiperX panel on stock airbox). But it did!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (chris86vw)

quote:[HR][/HR]ITs also a LONG air intake. The longer the path the air has travel from the filter to the turbo also affects performance, this time in a negative way. Something to think about. With turbo cars you want the least possible resistance on the inlet side of the compressor and the outlet side of the turbine. Adding length to the intake increases resistance.
chris
[email protected][HR][/HR]​
Ahhh... but still better then that the restrictive stock setup! I know because I can feel the difference. Anyway, the stock setup also has to suck the air through the duct that attaches behind the headlight assembly. Also, the stock air ducting is smaller than the EVO CAI and the distance is not much further.... so I don't think that length is an issue here!

[Modified by lzg507, 9:28 PM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by lzg507, 7:26 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Ok so I want to buy an intake...but which one? BMC or EVO (lzg507)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Ahhh... but still better then that the restrictive stock setup! I know because I can feel the difference. Anyway, the stock setup also has to suck the air through the duct that attaches behind the headlight assembly. Also, the stock air ducting is smaller than the EVO CAI and the distance is not much further.... so I don't think that length is an issue here![HR][/HR]​

Ahh, but not if you take out the little tube and cut a huge chunk out of the side of your airbox.
I tested a bunch of stuff before cone filters were drawing in less grams per second then a drop in filter in teh stock airbox at high rpms, its a bunch of BS that the stock box is restrictive.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,863 Posts

Chris is right on this one. Just search and you will find all the info you need on people dynoing Cone intakes against the Stock airbox with and without Drop in filters. Numbers are relatively similar with variations in 1 to 4 hp. With our motors the COOLER air gives us a little push. Punching a hole in the side of the box gives the engine more of an ability to suck in air but after the engine heats up power goes down.
PERSONALLY I'm waiting for the Pipercross Viper. I love how Upsolute is doing their homework and is releasing a custom program with the Viper. What alot of people fail to realize is that the ECU is not programmed to utilize the inrush of all this air EFFICIENTLY (sp). (I'll bring in a VR6 dyno) Dyno'd 2 VR6s 1 Bone stock 1 chip/exhaust. Bone stock saw 10 ponies from a CAI because of the back pressure. Modded=2hp. The car has all that air. But the engine isn't tuned to use it efficiently.
My $.02

[Modified by hman, 7:05 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
114 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Ahh, but not if you take out the little tube and cut a huge chunk out of the side of your airbox.
I tested a bunch of stuff before cone filters were drawing in less grams per second then a drop in filter in teh stock airbox at high rpms, its a bunch of BS that the stock box is restrictive.
chris
[email protected][HR][/HR]​
Well now your talking about something different. I was comparing the stock box w/ K&N (with stock tubing) to my EVO CAI in length. But I still fail to see what good cutting a hole in the stock box is going to do, because now your sucking in warm (if not hot) air. All I'm trying to say is that I can tell a huge difference between my stock box w/ K&N and my EVO CAI. of course this is all in prep. for future mods

1 - 20 of 66 Posts