VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having a bet with my friend, he doesn't think i can get my corrado into high 13' in the 1/4. If i win he has to buy a project corrado, if he wins i have to sell my corrado.
the corrado is 1990 with a ATP turbo kit
#30 injectors
3.5 fpr
260 cam
sns chip
3in downpipe with 2/12 catback
t3 60 trim turbo
i would like to know the times on some of you guys that are running g60 turbo setups, or even high modded chagers.
he has a wrx that runs 12.80's
which is close to my 300zx
if i don't hit close to 13's i will be force to sell the corrado to get some hks turbos

[Modified by g60zx, 3:27 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (g60zx)

I think you just sold your corrado...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (G60teknik)

if i can't make it to low 14' high 13' then i guess he is right when he said vw's are slow.

·
Banned
15,206 Posts
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (g60zx)

13's are no joke i mean i had a 400hp nitrous injected trans am that weighed 3000lbs and it was running low 13's. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts

13 are easy all you need is another 500 dollars in mods.......nitrous expresssingle fogger wet kit
.......make sure you use at least 100 octane though because the chip you have adds timing and you dont want any pre ignition

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (joeZX6)

part of the bet is i can't use nos
i love nos i am currenly runnig nos in my 300zx
cheapest hp.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts

Looking at the HP numbers strong turbo G60 motors put out you can get 13s. The big variables are the track and you as a driver.
My car can do high 13s as it sits now. Unfortunately, I can't as a driver. Not yet at least. The fact that your car is a turbo will help you a lot. Get some race gas and crank up the boost. I guess it depends on your software too.
Get your HP numbers up around or above 200WHP, strip some weight off the car and work on your driving skills. These machines can do it. It's up to us the drivers to pull it off.
Oh and also I hope your friend isn't being all cocky about a 12.8 second WRX. Any monkey can launch and AWD car. Low ETs are all about the 60' and power. I hope I didn't just offend our Passat brothers.

Llew

[Modified by G60Jetta2dr, 9:23 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

You'd be able to run 14.1-13.9, but you're going to need a few things.
First off, MOD YOUR DRIVETRAIN. You mentioned your buddy's AWD Subaru and a RWD TT 300ZX, then you call the FWD 13-year old 8 valve VW "slow." You should know better than that. You have a motor with relatively high torque for it's size, combined with FWD, an open differential, and a crappy transmission (poor gear ratios and finicky shifting).
The drivetrain is the weakest link (good-bye!) when it comes to 1/4 ET's in a Corrado. If we were all running with a Quaife, slicks, and a race-built transmission with good (fresh) synchros, all of our 1/4 ET's would be 0.5 to 1.0 seconds LOWER than they are. This is essential. The G60 wasn't built to be a dragster, so if you want to get respectable times out of it, it's gonna require some work.
Next, SUSPENSION. If you had adj. springs, this could also give you another 0.25-0.5 secs in the ET. Slam the front, then lift and lock the rear so it can't squat. This will all be remove your wheelspin when combined with the drivetrain listed above.
IMHO, if I had the two above mods on MY car, my ET's would have gone from 15.1 @ 94 (Stage 4 G60 on stock tires, 2.2 60 foot) to about 14.0 @ 95. I'd put money on it I'm so certain. My tranny is in sad shape, as I have to fight it to get it to shift gears. Shifting quickly isn't possible. Not to mention, I'd be able to go a LOT harder off the line if I knew I wasn't going to spin out through the first 660 feet of the track.
Other than that...you're going to want to run 110 octane and raise the boost to 20 or so. I'd say if you did all of the above, you would be good for mid 13's @ 98-100mph, give or take, under decent conditions.
But remove the AWD, a few valves, 400 cc's, and a few psi from your buddy's Subaru. Or see if he can find a WRX for $3k. Then see how he does. You have to compare apples to apples, dude. The playing field isn't exactly level. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (URIN 2ND)

the race is not to compare the wrx to the corrado i already took care of the wrx with my z. We have both own vw's in the past and he some how lost hope in them i am trying to get him to get back in the game. that is what the bet is about.
for what the wrx is, it is a fast car for a good price I just don't like the way they look.
thanks for your relpy
anyelse has a setup like mine that ran it at the track.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Try some spring rubbers to jack up and lock the back up. This should keep the front on the ground.
Good luck, I am no where neer 13's. With my #%#@%# transmission 15's are what I am seeing (with the GTech). Now about those 1/2 mile times

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (hallkbrd)

I'd say you need:
slicks | diff | SKILL

Launching a corrado ain't no joke it's all about your 60's.

and for reference High 13's aren't all that hard. Alot of 1.8T guys are creeping into that zone. And this link and my suggestions are in no way talkin smack on you guys..remember I loved my corrado.
Just check this link out : http://www.18turbo.com/quarter.html

[Modified by VW4life, 6:31 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Re: ok so we know how much everyone is pushing but what about the 1/4mile times? (VW4life)

SOLD!!!!! with youre setup i see nothing but smoke from your tires fighting for traction...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts