VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you can remember what car, situation, or event turned you in to the car drooling, automotive magazine reading, forum posting maniac you are today please elaborate. for me it was the 1997 dodge viper gts coupe blue with white stripes i saw when i was 13. my dad had been at a dodge dealership and he brought the dodge full model line brochure home, as soon as i saw that blue car in the cover i just could not keep my eyes off of it. i must of read that brochure over a hundred times! from then on people knew me as the car guy. when ever people are talking about cars i just jump in and join their conversation, when i see some one in a car i like i compliment their vehicle and conversate with them about it, ive gone to every major auto show here in cleveland since 97 (ive also been at the new york auto show)and am currently pursuing a Carrier in the automotive field. there just is no stop to this madness!!!! after all its just cars... NOT!
IM A CAR NUT AND AM NOT ASHAMED TO SAY IT! hopefully some day ill have enough capital to buy a low mileage 97 gts blue w white stripes. cant wait to read your stories http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (ps i still have that brochure)

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (leasim83)

F40 .... I was 13 or 14 at the time it came out. That was it although I had my Mam take me to my first auto show at 8 or 9.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (Merc-MarkO)

I can think of several... like seeing an early 60s Pontiac (I think it was a '63 Bonneville) in a park, and seeing the Beetle in Herbie

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (David Votoupal)

I had a toy remote controled... MKI Supra.. and a Toyota Landcruiser... thats how I got into it I think... combined with Lego.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (SHolman)

i loved that commercial sure brings back old memories, did you ever see the mad tv version of that commercial? it was hilarious

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: (leasim83)

If you would like to see the Barbie commercial or the one where the Ztt is being chased (..twin turbos kick in) go to z32.org
Adrian

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: (Buckeye(OH))

I don't think any one thing did it to me. I have Car & Drivers all the way back to '89 (I was only like 7 years old then). I've just always loved cars, what can I say?
My dad has a better story about "car love." I guess when he was 16 y/o living out in rural Oregon, the mom and pop garage down the road had a 289 shelby cobra road race car (quad webers, the whole bit) that he just lusted after. He'd go down to Portland Raceway and watch it win race after race, only fueling his love for that car.
Well, 40 years later my dad vintage races an original 289 cobra and has an original 289 street cobra and one of the original 427 comp cobras. Just makes you think about how much the love for a car at an early age never goes away.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

I started to read car magazines since I was as little as 6-year-old. However, the first car that really brought me into the love affair with European car, especially Audi, is the Ur-Quattro.

I still remember the days when I watched Ur-Quattro to latter Sport Quattro won all the rallies. The most unforgettable memory was watched the HK to Beijing rally at a starting point in a shopping center. Ever since those days, I really want to own an Audi and I still want to own one of those rally classics some day in my lifetime.

Modified by A4Jetta at 11:06 PM 6-28-2003

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (A4Jetta)

1980 mars red and primer scirocco with a full bilstein bts race suspension setup and an RD swap.
its all been downhill for me from there.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (rockit)

My Grandpa's Squareback. I used to watch him work on the engine when I was a little kid. It put the bug in me.

·
Banned
26,760 Posts

I have no clue, as I was reading Automobile Magazine by the age of 3.

I can tell you though, that a 1996 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (yes, of course black) was what turned me onto VWs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (LuxNova)

Ferrari F40 I saw when I was 10 at a PCA race. I was the envy of everyone when the owner let me sit in the car.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (A4Jetta)

When my mother was rushing to the hospital in England, I was a tad early, so I first poked my head into the atmosphere in the back of a Ford Anglia somewhere in Lakenheath England. I guess that could have been the start!
When I was 2, one of my pillows was a stuffed brown VW Bug. When I was 3, my parents moved to New York and were broke, and we spent 4 months living in dad's 63 VW Microbus camper, with my dad selling paintings (or trading them for pot) out of the side, my hippie mother picking a guitar, and me playing with my stuffed Beetle.
By 4, my parents divorced and my mother moved to California with me in tow. She bought me my first Matchbox car then, and what followed was a collection of probably 400+ cars. I spent many hours forming massive highway networks all over the apartment.
By 5 years old, my mom was dating a crew member for a Can Am racer. This was in 1973, and the racer took a little 6-year old Matchbox car fan out for a spin in his Porsche around Ontario Motor Speedway. Most days I would stand transfixed in front of his blue and yellow Sunoco-liveried 917/30, and loved the sound of the nearly 1100HP engine lighting up and being tuned. I was jumping up and down later that year when my buddy Mark Donohue won the CamAm championship, annoucing his retirement from the sport. I can also remember at age 7, late in August in 1975, crying for days when I learned of his death in Austria after being coaxed back into racing. My mother was no longer with the pit crewman, but I felt a special connection to the great racing driver who took me for a spin, and it was a devastating moment for me.
By 8 it was every car mag I could get my hands on. At 10 it was helping my uncle work on his 68 Mustang. At 13 my dad let me take his 4-speed manual Peugeot 504 Diesel around the neighborhood at night when noone was around.
So though I had a long history of car-loving, I would have to say the one car that transformed me into a driveling car nut would be that 1100HP, blue and yellow Penske/Donohue Porsche 917/30:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (zackiedawg)

Hmm... my parents keep telling me the story, that the 3rd word I ever said was "Gol'", which meant the yellow Golf Mk 1 my daddy had at that time, so I guess I'm a car nut since im on this planet.

·
Registered
23,277 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (DoktaJoch)

Theres just soemthing about a car that can almost match exotics for performance, and still be able to seat 5, and luggage. Yes I know there are better ones now, but still I lust after the M5

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (trbogti)

When I was young I loved old 1960's Vettes, red with white rolling flames.
But what turned me from dork to car lover is the Mazda Rx7 and Civic Type-R.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (VR6-Racer)

The B5 Audi S4. There was just something about a really fast luxury car that got me.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Re: ok so what car did it for ya? (maXor)

id have to say, for me, it was the Porsche 930 Slantnose from Gemballa. i used to drool over that poster everyday in my room. that and i also had a poster with 2 Lamborghini Countachs on it.....one with a rear spoiler...and one without.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts