VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on a buffer, more like ~50-60 bucks.
Can i pick up a decent one at home depot or something for this price?
Anything in particular i should look for?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (roadhard1960)

And, obtain the correct velcro backing plate, the correct pads, and understand, that if you use a detail brush every 1/3 to 1/4 of the panel to clean out the built up product from the foam pad, you will do fine.
An orbital/dual action polisher will never replace a rotary for removal of marring, but will allow the operater to glaze over the concern.
Ketch

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (ketch)

Quote, originally posted by ketch »
An orbital/dual action polisher will never replace a rotary for removal of marring, but will allow the operater to glaze over the concern.
Ketch

I'm in love.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (PassatB5.5)

sears has a 10" random orbital buffer on sale this week. regularly 40 dollars on sale for 27 it has a speed rating of 2400 opm. is this a good deal?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (02VWGTI)

I am by no means a pro detailer, but I would say no. I have one that I bought from wal*mart and it is good at taking wax off, but for polishing / glazing it is about worthless. It just doesn't seem to have a high enough rpm. Also, I would rather have a 6" now as 10" can be a bit unweildy on vertical surfaces and bumpers.
That is the appeal of the porter cable for me, variable speed

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (jae1.8T)

Never did like buffers for home use .. Still prefer the old fashioned way .. by hand. Big prob with home ones is between uses the pads harden then the user scratches up the paint on the next application. Befor you realize it you have a hood full of new swirls all your own.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (jae1.8T)

If you are looking to wax your car (or your girl's car) a couple of times a year, you might consider going for the Porter Cable 7424. It will provide you with really good results. Just do a search under the Yahoo Shopping link and it will come up with a variety of online stores. I believe I got mine for $129.00. It might seem a little high, but having used other polishers, I can tell you this is a really nice machine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Ok to pick up a buffer from Home Depot? (djizreel)

I just used my PC for the first time. Did my wife's dark green 99 Forester. I'll never do another car by hand again! Took a couple hours to both polish and wax. Excellent results. And, the swirl marks are completely gone. The mirror finish does seem to highligh the various door nick she's accumulated over 4 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.