VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought '02 GTI 1.8t......did some searches and couuldn't find the answer. It's got 25k on it and has been serviced by dealers at all of the preceeding service intervals. I want to change the oil every 3k just from experience with turbo'd cars. Would it be alright to change it over to synthetic at this point? Would the dealer use synthetic (M1) if i brought it with me to get the oil changed? Thanks for any help.......

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (jhuv)

The engine is still "new" at 25000 miles. I've bought some used cars, one with 40,000 miles and one with 83,000 miles, and never thought twice about using full synthetic. Haven't had any problems either. I don't know what was used before, but the car with 40,000 miles ('99 A4 1.8Tq) had been serviced entirely by the dealer.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jhuv »
Just bought '02 GTI 1.8t......did some searches and couuldn't find the answer. It's got 25k on it and has been serviced by dealers at all of the preceeding service intervals. I want to change the oil every 3k just from experience with turbo'd cars. Would it be alright to change it over to synthetic at this point? Would the dealer use synthetic (M1) if i brought it with me to get the oil changed? Thanks for any help.......

With the owner's manual recommendation being 5W-40, you'll find only "synthetic" oils available to use, such as:
Mobil 1 Truck and SUV
Shell Rotella T Synthetic
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Syntec
Castrol Syntec 5W-40 should be available at a VW dealer, but it is expensive. Posts on VWVortex indicate that few dealers actually use 5W-40 in recent VWs (other than those with TDI engines).

·
Registered
132 Posts

many cars come out of the factory with synthetic these days. You are fine to use it. I started using it at 10k

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (zambien)

That's about when I started using synthetic also, no problems at all.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (AVANT)

I have 30k miles on my 2002.5 GTI and I asked the dealer a simular question. He said since I have that many miles on the car already that I shouldnt switch. Something about the engine is older and used to conventional oils. I mentioned I wanted to chip it after the 60k warranty and I wanted the extra protection, but he said I should be fine and I dont need to switch. Just make sure I change the oil at leaste every 5k. I still havent decided on what to do. I am going to stay with what the dealer says until after my warranty is up, then decided on what to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I'm going to switch it over to M1 0W-40 this weekend with the VW filter, of course.....

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

With the owner's manual recommendation being 5W-40, you'll find only "synthetic" oils available to use, such as:
Mobil 1 Truck and SUV
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Syntec
Castrol Syntec 5W-40 should be available at a VW dealer, but it is expensive. Posts on VWVortex indicate that few dealers actually use 5W-40 in recent VWs (other than those with TDI engines).

amsoil offers a 5w-40 weight oil.

·
Registered
14,345 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jhuv »
I want to change the oil every 3k just from experience with turbo'd cars.

Every 3k with synthetic will be a waste of good oil. Use a quality synthetic and you can enjoy extended drain intervals while offering your motor and turbo excellent protection.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (Deception)

Just go out spend the extra $$ on some Euro mix 5w-40 Amsoil, and reap the benefits of extended drain intervals.. Your engine will love you!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (MKII Golfman)

Switch it.
I have 40k and I am going to (went) Synthetic my last oil change. My dealer told me to wait until 30k to switch to synthetic. Change it every 5000 miles, less is just a waste. You can probobly go even longer, but I would get an oil analysis if you try that.

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (Mile High Assassin)

It's especially important to use synthetic if you have a turbocharged engine. You don't want burnt up oil deposits coked up inside the turbo.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Re: Ok to start using synth. oil at 25,000mi? (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Syntec

The critical thing is not the 5w-40 grade recommendation; it is the ACEA A3 and/or VW50x spec.
The grade of 5w-40 is a RECOMMENDATION. The ACEA A3 or VW 50x is a REQUIREMENT.
You can use any grade so long as it is ACEA A3. One oil that meets these requirements is Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic in either the 5w-30 or 10w-30 grades. Plus you can buy it at Walmart in those big 5 gallon jugs and the little ACEA A3 and VW 50X specs are printed right on the back of the jugs. Doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

go ahead and switch it!! you will notice a differance, ive used castrol syntec 5w 40 in my 1.8t gti and it looooves it, lot smoother power at highway speeds especially.it is okay to switch at your current milage, i switched to synthetic at 25k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts