VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after spending the better part of two hours trying to replace the damn alternator belt that snapped last night i came to the conclusion that the three belt system is frought with unreliablity.
probably 50% of the problems i've had with my car could be contributed to the fact that a2's don't a a single belt system. ive gone through three alternators three water pumps andone idler pully on the water pump, why you ask. cause i may have overtightened one of the belts on occasion causing misalignment between the pulleys in turn causing bearings to fall. all would be solved if there was one belt with a tensioner set correctly.
i realize it makes it easier to accomidate different options like a/c and power steering but given the engineering prowess at vw i think they could have thought a way around that.
discuss

[Modified by username, 3:33 PM 12-1-2001]

· Registered
8,868 Posts
Re: ok, vw really dropped the ball when it came to the belt system on a2's (username)

I have done the belts a few times on our mk2's, they seem to be designed well. The thing I always do is not to overtighten them and always check for deflection according to bentley manual. I haven't changed any belt-driven components on my 8v for the last 170k miles except for the water pump which leaked, and the alternator on the 16v.
now when it rains and you don't have the splash guard....that's a different story

· Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: ok, vw really dropped the ball when it came to the belt system on a2's (AthensGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]Isn't thier a website out there somewhere about the serpentine belt conversion?[HR][/HR]​
that would be pretty cool

· Registered
4,870 Posts
Re: ok, vw really dropped the ball when it came to the belt system on a2's (Andrew Foss)

quote:[HR][/HR]if its that big of a deal to you, just switch to a serpentine belt from an a3, its not that hard. [HR][/HR]​
Hmmm, your sig says 91 x-flow...How'd you go about the serpetine swap in your A2? Which a/c compressor and p/s pump did you use?

· Registered
3,343 Posts
Re: ok, vw really dropped the ball when it came to the belt system on a2's (The_Hamster)

quote:[HR][/HR]fudge a/c and power steering, god bless 1 belt.[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,908 Posts
Re: ok, vw really dropped the ball when it came to the belt system on a2's (PAGTI91)

the ABA bracket bolts on the 1.8 block, and then you just make some adapters out of aluminum to put the A2 AC lines on to the A3 AC compressor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.