VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They actually sell this thing in the US, in the Suzuki Verona (a rebadged Daewoo Magnus.)
It's a 2.5L in the cars sold here, they've also got a 2.0L in Europe.
Window sticker fuel economy was 20/27, with a 4-spd auto. And the thing weighs 3380 pounds.
Oh, and it only has 155 hp @ 5800 (less than the updated VAG 2.5) and 177 ft-lbf @ 4000 (admittedly, lower RPM for the same torque as the VAG 2.5.)
These numbers just seem... weak.
Is this engine exceptionally smooth, or something? Why did Daewoo bother using a straight-6 when a straight-4 would've made much more sense, and they had access to the massive GM parts bin of Ecotecs?
I was reminded of these things because I was driving behind a Verona today... no, I don't want one.

Banned
Re: OK, what the hell? Daewoo straight-6... (bhtooefr)

Who cares if it's weak. It's a straight six, for chrissake, so it's smoother than a <insert favorite female body part>
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

G

FV-QR

The straight six predates the takeover by GM. The car was basically done when GM came in, so they put it into production since the tooling was already ordered and ready to go. Otherwise, it's a lame-ass engine.

Registered
80 Scirocco, 87 Scirocco 16v, 86 Quantum Syncro, 91 318is, 84 230CE, 99 Tacoma PreRunner
Re: (bhtooefr)

Quote, originally posted by bhtooefr
I can't even find any videos of the exhaust note of the thing... crazy.

Who would film the exhaust note of a Daewoo?
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

(Other than you, I mean)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (Swallow Doretti)

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti
The straight six predates the takeover by GM. The car was basically done when GM came in, so they put it into production since the tooling was already ordered and ready to go. Otherwise, it's a lame-ass engine.

The thing is, they're actually still using the thing in a new model... Must have spent a lot on that tooling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jesus:
Quote 禄
Compactness of design 鈥 The reduction of engine length by adopting 6mm bore bridge with Silitec aluminium cylinder liner and 12mm cam chain system to obtain engine length of just 642mm. Reduced engine width by adopting narrow angle port cylinder head.

Just for a quick comparison, the EA827 2.0TFSI is 652mm long, according to Wikipedia.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, I just got a sick, totally pointless idea, that would be better accomplished with a VR swap (except, based on that one external dimension of the engine, and the fact that it's got an aluminum block, this may just be LIGHTER than a stock 8v...)
Mk2 with an engine out of a wrecked Verona, and a trans out of a Daewoo Tosca 2.0 in Europe.

Registered
Re: OK, what the hell? Daewoo straight-6... (bhtooefr)

For when it came out... it wasn't terrible power from a 2.5L and it's probably smooth as silk... but they should have learned from Volvo that a straight six mounted the wrong way makes for an annoyingly wide turning circle and the need for a very compact transmission.
Volvo and Daewoo are the only ones that have tried the transverse I-6 tho!
^^ Both engines were developed with Porsche Engineering too, although the Volvo I-6 was designed for longintudinal mount originally... just thought I'd point out that Porsche worked on both those engines.
Yah Ital-design styled it... they style a lot of Korean cars.. but remember it's up to the Korean management to decide on which shape to purchase tooling for... and how the car should look... Ital Design is working for them... not handling them their drawings and saying - buy the tooling to make this car.

Modified by Live-Wire at 10:06 PM 10-16-2008

G

FV-QR

Italdesign also did the first-generation Hyundai Excel and the Hyundai Scoupe. Daewoo was basically copying Hyundai's playbook in terms of using vendors.

Registered
Re: FV-QR (Swallow Doretti)

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti
Yes...Porsche was Daewoo's engineering consultant. Porsche also helped Hyundai co-develop its current four-speed automatic.

But the strange thing is... this engine didn't compete well with any car 6 cylinder engine that was already on the market. Maybe the Taurus vulcan, but that's an 80s design in a much heavier car.
It sounds like it was designed to fit a size, which seems to have forced huge compromises on the engine's performance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: OK, what the hell? Daewoo straight-6... (Live-Wire)

Quote, originally posted by Live-Wire
Volvo and Daewoo are the only ones that have tried the transverse I-6 tho!

Not completely true. (I've been researching the transverse I6.)
British Leyland did it 27 years before Volvo, in the Austin Tasman and Austin Kimberley X6.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.