VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are certain triggers on your car. Switches. I'd like to make use of the current switches so theres no ECU mods for the new switch chips.
Inputs:
WOT (or wot override)
IDLE
A/C
MIL (would require adding a switch and wire).
I could use a combination of the above to select a separate programming on the same chip. Ie: More timing, less timing, more fuel less fuel whatever.
Example 1: If A/C is on, and car is started with WOT depressed, then switch to map XX.
Example 2: If WOT override is selected when engine is started goto XX map set.
Example 3: if MIL wire is set goto XX map
There's a few combinations available. Some require more wiring, some don't. I'd prefer to find a unique combination that wouldn't be accidentally set.
This isn't for everyone. This is a feature i plan to implement sooner than later. As it makes it easier to send a chip with many maps on it, and let you pick and choose the best for your conditions (hot,cold, 100+ octane, 91 octane).
Combinations could be worked too:
MIL OVERRIDE SWITCH, WOT override switch, a/c switch, for instance could be used to control 2^3 (8 for you math dummies) separate programming maps on one single chip. These would be stage 5 chips only as we're looking at killing the stage 1-4 chips soon since they are getting archaic.
Again its not for everyone. Even a dual-program chip would be cool.
The easiest imo would be the a/c switch. Start the car with a/c on and the maps change, Thats not too hard to remember. The maps would not change once the start on has occurred.
Whatcha think? This is a NO ECU MOD feature. Something we'd offer to stage 5 owners. Another bonus for our most successful chip to date.
I'd like your feedback, as you are our customer and we want to bring you the best chip in town. So sit down digest what i just said and give me some opinions.
I've already begun coding the variable RPM limit for whatever i choose to use it for (launch control, ECU/sensor failures).. Got a few spare minutes while i'm waiting for my car to be hopped up to 20 psi

cheers

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Okay i need some ideas on the new SWITCH CHIP... Please read and advise.. (mrkrad)

After careful thought. The first generation switch chip will be based on the A/C. If you don't have a/c you can rig a switch up. Its two wires and switch.
Start your car with a/c on, you get programming #2, start your car with a/c off you get programming #1. Let's K.I.S.S., I know some of you guys have bad habits, but this chip would carry a warning sticker so some dumbass wouldn't ruin your car.
Sam

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Re: Okay i need some ideas on the new SWITCH CHIP... Please read and advise.. (mrkrad)

quote:[HR][/HR]Even a dual-program chip would be cool[HR][/HR]​

how about something simple like full race and just enough to get on the trailor?
i'd go for something like that. nothing more annoying than a car not willing to idle, a heavy clutch and steep ramp.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

I will definately come to you when I need my nitrous chip made. Advanced timing normally, then retard when squeeze. This is so much easier than getting an entire MSD setup! I will let you know when I need my first chip for the turbo conversion. I don't think I can keep it at 12psi. That is torture man!!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

I haven't even driven the car yet, and I am already tired of how slow it is!
Which is where you come into play mister!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: Okay i need some ideas on the new SWITCH CHIP... Please read and advise.. (Iceman666)

Any option for dials or a series of toggle switches??? Just tap it into the the wiring somewhere??? Jsut a thought (Im one of the bad habit idiots that game for this
) Now...GET EM DONE!!! I need a new chip bad like

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Okay i need some ideas on the new SWITCH CHIP... Please read and advise.. (DubG60)

Sorry man. We've like to remain completely in software. I've seen it done with hardware, and quite frankly running wires outside the ecu, can result in too much risk for damage. We live in the computer age. If it can't be done with software, then i guess that means i'm just not trying hard enough..

Anyways, the early alpha (untested) has been transmitted to mr.watts for trial. It may work, it may not, it might crash. Give us a week or so to debug it and come up with the best method to make it work.. I've got a few approaches to try, and its just a matter of getting my car back running (it is running, just upgraded
The new stage 5 (level 4) is a cut, we're gonna test them in a variety of cars around town, then that be that. If I can add SwitchChip to the package reasonably effectively, they will be included in the production versions shortly.
Quite possibly the first revisions will be a hot/cold, or high/low boost (Turbo).
Now what we need is those qwik-change pullies

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The new stage 5 (level 4) is a cut, we're gonna test them in a variety of cars around town, then that be that. If I can add SwitchChip to the package reasonably effectively, they will be included in the production versions shortly.
Quite possibly the first revisions will be a hot/cold, or high/low boost (Turbo).[HR][/HR]​
I can deal with that...A chip for over 90*/under 90* would be PERFECT for me
Damn 115* heat
The AC really would set that of too

BTW Sam...Yo looked into the oil cooler for the tranny yet??? I saw some diagrams in the Bently that may help ya out. Ill try to find em again...

[Modified by DubG60, 3:03 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Okay i need some ideas on the new SWITCH CHIP... Please read and advise.. (DubG60)

The tranny uses the coolant to cool the tranny. I need one of those HALL oil coolers that lets the oil/tranny cooler do its thing, and the oil cooling run on its own. Come on hall, hook a brother up with a deal
Something simple to work on cause ya'll know i suck at the mechanical aspect of these cars!!
Oil cooler = more power more power more power. I need to work out some details with hall and my auto and its way of cooling the tranny fluid using the coolant, and i'm down. I probably lose 1 second off the 1/4 mile after my car hits 210F coolant!!
Sam

·
Registered
861 Posts

oh please, give me one for 91/100 oct! and I'd rather run a wire, and a seprate switch, since my A/c is disconnected. Unless the ECU dosen't care? the wiring is all there, it's just unplugged.

[Modified by smoked_g60, 5:00 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

currently, i'd love to have a hot/cold switch chip, but in the future I plan on doing up my crazy motor with near 10:1 compression along with a 12 psi and a 25 psi pullies, this chip would be perfect. program #1 12 psi, 91 oct. & program #2 25 psi with 100 oct. yum yum yum yum

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Now what we need is those qwik-change pullies
[HR][/HR]​
Quick changes pullies would rock! Esp with a switch chip. 68mm for the street and 58 for the strip or Friday night cruise!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts