21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I :heart: this car. So very clean. And I must say that trunk set up :thumbup: good little cubby spot. Will be watching this one.
:thumbup:

Maybe he was talking about the vinyl wrap on the roof that's no longer there?
I was, but the pics make your paint look super shiny.. I want to wrap the roof on my 5.0 with a subdued american flag. Y'all know i like the paint drippin yo..
lol. My kids made me get rid of the vinyl....it scared them.

And, yes, the paint on this car is nice. She's leakin.....soakin wet....

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

OK, so I finally got around to doing the alternator. I didn't do a complete DIY on this since MADDNESS already did an outstanding job with it. You can find his DIY here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7148730-The-ultimate-Alternator-and-alternator-bearing-R-amp-R-DIY There are a lot of steps to this DIY but its really not that hard to do. You just need to be real careful when taking the alternator apart. The Phillips head bolt tend to strip easily. Use lots of PB blaster or WD40 and take your time.

I got a powder coated cage from .ant. I also went ahead and had mine powder coated after I took it apart because I was curious how good a job the guy I use would do compared to .ant.

Unfortunately, I didn't tell him not to powder shims the main bolts go through. So now they are stuck.

So I ended up using the back half that .ant gave me and the front half from the powder coater that I use. But to be honest the quality on both is pretty comparable.

After you take the alternator apart this is what you end up with. Looks like a transformer barfed on my workbench.

And here is the reassembled alternator. I installed new bearings and a new voltage regulator since the brushes on my voltage regulator were almost worn beyond what Bentley says is acceptable.

And the installed product.

After the install I tested the voltage at the battery terminals. I was getting 14.1 volts. I think you want to have a minimum of 13.5 volts. Piece of cake guys.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I always love seeing clean PGM GLI's. They give me a kick in the ass to do something with mine :laugh:

21 - 40 of 103 Posts