VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
THIS IS GREAT

I didnt know this car was still around. Billburt's old thread was incredible, happy to see you're continuing on.
MAJOR props dude:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I always love seeing clean PGM GLI's. They give me a kick in the ass to do something with mine :laugh:
Nice Jetta! Looks good, keep it up.
good to see this still around
THIS IS GREAT

I didnt know this car was still around. Billburt's old thread was incredible, happy to see you're continuing on.
MAJOR props dude:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks guys :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
BTW, how do you keep your bay clean? Degreaser and a spray nozzle?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't drive the car.....:sly:

But seriously, I really don't get to drive it that much so it usually only takes a rag and micrfiber to get it clean.
:laugh:
That does it, screw driving. Ill walk, gotta have that clean bay.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Just the tip

So one of the things that always bothered me a little bit about this car was the exhaust tip. It came with the system that Billburt and I installed back in the day (this exhaust was actually on his first GLI). It's made by MaxPSI and I don't think they are in business anymore. Its a 3" turbo back with a magnaflow muffler on the end. The tip is just a big 4+" polished steel thing. Doesnt look horrible but there are so many nicer looking options out there.

I finally got around to swapping the tips out. I went with a brushed finished, double walled 4" tip from 42DD

Had a friend weld it on for me.

before and after pic.

The old tip sat flush to the valence. I wanted this one to poke a little. I think it is poking just slightly more than I wanted, but not enough for me to want to cut and weld again. :p

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Took her for a drive today and she rolled 87K!:rolleyes:

Also figured out that I need to make some adjustments to the new tip. It keeps wanting to creep over to the passenger side of cut out. Also, this new tip just slightly changed the tone of the exhaust and its just a tiny bit quieter. The old tip was a 4" single walled piece and this new tip is also 4" but its doubled walled with an ID of 3". I was hoping it wouldnt change the exhaust but it did. Still sounds good though.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I have been trying to track down an intermittent stalling issue. The car will just randomly stall when I am driving it. If you try to start it again immediately it will just sit there and crank. If you wait about 2 or 3 minutes it will start right up and run just fine. CTS has been replaced. Just replaced the plugs even though they looked just fine. Its not the cam or crank position sensors. I was kind of thinking it was fuel related but the fuel filter has been replaced. Fuel pump is original unit so that's a possibility. I installed a fuel pressure gauge to see what kind of pressures I am getting and everything is normal (42 psi with vac line disconnected). Eversince I installed the fuel pressure gaguge it has run just fine. I have drove it over 100 miles since then and not one issue...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So i took it up to Will today at Reeves and he scanned it for me. Got this code. Like I said, CTS was replaced with a green top. Both fans are operating. I think the thermostat is original so that may be the culprit. going to do some more testing first...

and one more for the whore...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So ever since I taped the AGN valve cover to use AN fittings for the catch can and oil filter housing breather I have noticed that it leaks a little bit of oil onto the valve cover after I run it for a while. I finally got around to putting some thread sealer where the fittings mate with the valve cover.

I took the fittings out first and cleaned the threads off real good.

Then I used some of this on the threads. I used this stuff on the threads for the fuel pressure gauge and it worked well so hopefully it will work here too...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So I sold my TDI about 3 months ago. The new owner was just texting me asking how to do something on it and he sent me this picture. I really miss this car. Never should have sold it. :banghead:

Another pic of the car from the trip to SOWO two years ago.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Did you ever figure out the stalling issue? The same thing happened on my 1.8t, and I fixed it by replacing the engine speed sensor.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3843284-GTI-1-8t-Engine-Speed-Sensor-%28-impulse-sender-%29-DIY-w-pics
Nope. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and it has not stalled since:banghead::banghead::banghead:. But I thought I had read that the speed sensor will not cause the car to stall while its running. It will only make the car hard to start. Was yours just stalling randomly will it was running??

41 - 60 of 103 Posts