VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of someone running the 2bbl carb setup off of a '70's Omni 024?
My dad and I spotted one today and it has a 1.7 VW engine in it (factory) with a carb setup that would work with my car.
My question is, would it be worth it to score the setup for my Bunny, or no?

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Omni "024" stuff (Jaceb-GT)

Quote, originally posted by Jaceb-GT »
Has anyone ever heard of someone running the 2bbl carb setup off of a '70's Omni 024? My question is, would it be worth it to score the setup for my Bunny, or no?

I personally would not remove the CIS fuel injection system for an old 2 barrel carb. If you want carbs, then spend the $$$ for dual sidedrafts and matching intake manifold.
Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Re: (Jaceb-GT)

Quote, originally posted by Jaceb-GT »
Yes, it's a 1.7 that will be a 1.8. But, the carb setup from the 024 should work fine because it is a VW 1.7 Engine.

It's not whether or not it will work fine, it's why on earth would you remove fuel injection for an old carb set-up? I hate carbs anyway, but if you are gonna go with carbs, at least get big ones.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: (Jaceb-GT)

If you want carbs, then definitely don't use an old POS 2-barrel carb that probably needs to be rebuilt.
If your existing CIS fuel injection works, then save your $$$ for a carb application that would work much better than what you are considering.
There is nothing wrong with a good working CIS fuel injection. I still use the basic mechanical CIS system on the race Wabbit with a VWMS fuel distributor and some personal mods.
The initial idea that a lot of folks have about CIS that is a badly designed system because they don't understand the principles of the system. There are numerous books on the operation of CIS. The Bentley provides an excellent overview of the system.
Many years ago, Techtonics determined a CIS fuel injection was good to about 170 flywheel horsepower.
When that horsepower number is exceeded, then you need to look at carbs or ITB's as the alternative to the CIS system.
Cheers, WWR.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Re: (WackyWabbitRacer)

yea cis is good,,awesome throttle response,i miss driving my gti,,yea what he said about the 170hp number,,they are good systems,,keep it,unless you are building a crazy race engine,,if you run a carb,it better go 13's all day,or its stupid,and a waste of money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.