VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I don't frequent TCL too often, but I am in dire need of help. I am in the process of selling my B4 Passat VR6 wagon, and would like to move into something newer. The car must be a manual, Euro, and under $18k. Mileage isn't an issue as long as it's been maintained, etc.
What do you all suggest? I've come up with a few options, but would like some more.
2000+ Audi A4 1.8T Avant
2000+ Audi S4 2.7T Avant
B6 Passat 2.0T Variant (would like to stay away from B5 Passats)
Saab... but don't know of any models to look at, Saab is new to me.
DO NOT want a Volvo...
All others are fair game. Post up a picture so I know what you're talking about, if available.
Thanks,
Steve

· Registered
21,177 Posts
Re: FV-BumpIt(1218030003837) (Scuba2001)

Quote, originally posted by Scuba2001 »
No suggestions from TCL?

No, because the "euro" requirement sucks.
(The answer, otherwise is a 2005 Subaru Legacy Gt wagon)
SAAB 9-2x Aero?

(You're looking at 1.8Ts A4s and 2.7TT S4s, and you want to avoid passats? If you say this is because of reliability, I'm going to mock you.)
Also, finding a clean 2.7T S4 manual wagon for under $18k seems a tough task.
Also, BMWs

Modified by nm+ at 6:37 AM 8-6-2008

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Re: FV-BumpIt(1218030003837) (nm+)

Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

No, because the "euro" requirement sucks.]

Yeah, really. You could find a niec WRX Wagon for under $18k. There are loads of better options than the Eueo ones. Don't get me wrong, I like Euro wagons, but there ARE better choices out there.

· Registered
4,333 Posts
Re: On A Mission: Looking for Wagon, 2000 or newer for under $18k (Scuba2001)

I need some help. I don't frequent TCL too often, but I am in dire need of help. I am in the process of selling my B4 Passat VR6 wagon, and would like to move into something newer. The car must be a manual, Euro, and under $18k. Mileage isn't an issue as long as it's been maintained, etc.
What do you all suggest? I've come up with a few options, but would like some more.
2000+ Audi A4 1.8T Avant
2000+ Audi S4 2.7T Avant
B6 Passat 2.0T Variant (would like to stay away from B5 Passats)
Saab... but don't know of any models to look at, Saab is new to me.
DO NOT want a Volvo...
All others are fair game. Post up a picture so I know what you're talking about, if available.
Thanks,
Steve

Saab 9-5 wagon can be had in a manual, and in terms of bang-for-your-buck, the Aero is the best version of that.
Eliminating the Subaru Legacy GT from consideration is foolish. The redesigned version, 2005+, can be had for your price range. You could also check out a 2005+ Outback XT, which is basically the outback version of the Legacy GT wagon.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

(You're looking at 1.8Ts A4s and 2.7TT S4s, and you want to avoid passats? If you say this is because of reliability, I'm going to mock you.)

Nope, I'm avoiding a B5 Passat because I had one as my first car. I don't want to get into another one as I think it could be boring compared to other things available.
I'll look into the Subaru's though, they came to mind, but never really looked at them all too closely.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: On A Mission: Looking for Wagon, 2000 or newer for under $18k (Viss1)

Quote, originally posted by Viss1 »
BMW 3 and 5 series wagons came with manuals.

Which years? I know the '04+ models are not available with manual transmissions, and are way out of my price range.

· Registered
6,088 Posts
Re: On A Mission: Looking for Wagon, 2000 or newer for under $18k (Scuba2001)

Which years? I know the '04+ models are not available with manual transmissions, and are way out of my price range.

If manuals have been discontinued, it would have been in the last 1-2 years. The current bodystyles of both had manuals available. There are plenty available under $18K if your only requirement is '00 or newer.

· Registered
21,177 Posts

Nope, I'm avoiding a B5 Passat because I had one as my first car. I don't want to get into another one as I think it could be boring compared to other things available.

FYI, the A4 and Passat share the same chassis, and with 4motion and quattro, the same suspension setup. The B6 (passat) is IMHO a much more boring and soft setup than the passat (which admittedly is still rather soft and boring stock)
But, hey personal perference.
Avoid 2002 Audi A4s like the plague. Horrible cars, Audi just sort of hacked them together.
Read up on 1.8T sludge problems if you don't know about them.
Oh and apparently B6 2.0T passats are having cats fall apart and cats are on backorder in this country due to the problem.
The subaru legacy GT really is a fantastic car.
The suspension's a bit soft (but not that bad, and no worse than any of the cars your considering, except maybe the S4), but otherwise, subaru's built a fantastic driver's car. A chassis with a lot of potential, decent (though not great) steering (same rack as on the 08 STIs
), a rear LSD, a 5-speed that's beefier than the WRX, and a fantastic engine with 250 stock horses and much more just a reflash and maybe a downpipe away.
Oh and my car only weighs 3355lbs.
6in of ground clearance (not due to being jacked up, but due to a basically flat undercarriage) also makes for awesome winter or even some softroading capbilities.
I was in the exact situation as you (including the euro perference), and this car just blew me away. It's just the best option for the money.

Modified by nm+ at 7:08 AM 8-6-2008

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

FYI, the A4 and Passat share the same chassis, and with 4motion and quattro, the same suspension setup.

When I said I had a Passat as my first car, I wasn't joking. Suspensions, drivelines, transmissions, control arms, timing belt failures, AEB engines being the best out of all, quirks, pros and cons, sludge, K03 failure rates, I went through it all in my first Passat. I know all about them, and just want to stay away from the B5 1.8T's so I can learn something new. I guess that means I need to stay away from the B5's in general... Audi A4/S4 included.

Thank you for the reminder though on the boring-ness of the B6 Passat. I remember having a loaner B6 sedan, 2.0T Auto that was a complete dog and such a bore to drive. Don't get me started on how cheap the interior felt and looked compared to previous years.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FV-QR

I think I am going to have to look into the Saabs and the Subarus a little further. I will be honest though, an Outback isn't for me. I don't do any offroading, trailing, camping, etc and having the added ground clearance, etc with an Outback is really unnecessary. If a Legacy is more along the lines of sporty, I could handle that. Now that you mention it, my cousin recently ditched her Mk3 Cabrio for a new Legacy GT sedan earlier in the year.

· Registered
21,177 Posts

When I said I had a Passat as my first car, I wasn't joking. Suspensions, drivelines, transmissions, control arms, timing belt failures, AEB engines being the best out of all, quirks, pros and cons, sludge, K03 failure rates, I went through it all in my first Passat. I know all about them, and just want to stay away from the B5 1.8T's so I can learn something new. I guess that means I need to stay away from the B5's in general... Audi A4/S4 included.
Thank you for the reminder though on the boring-ness of the B6 Passat. I remember having a loaner B6 sedan, 2.0T Auto that was a complete dog and such a bore to drive. Don't get me started on how cheap the interior felt and looked compared to previous years.

Yeah, you need a subaru

(And a move to a land of frozen lakes

· Registered
2,698 Posts
I can only comment on what I have experience with and I'd recommend the 1.8t B6 Audi Avant.
Get the sport package and you'll forget you're driving a wagon. Very well made car, great interior, plenty of space, fuel efficient, compact proportions, and great handling with sport suspension and quattro.

Modified by velocipedio at 7:53 AM 8-6-2008

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (nm+)

Yeah, you need a subaru

(And a move to a land of frozen lakes)

Dude, I hate you already. Being from NJ, that looks like so much fun.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (velocipedio)

Quote, originally posted by velocipedio »
I can only comment on what I have experience with and I'd recommend the 1.8t B6 Audi Avant.
Get the sport package and you'll forget you're driving a wagon.

I was looking at those also, but if I were to buy a B6 Audi Avant, I'd have to go all out and get an UltraSport, and those are still over $20k for an '04 that's got 70+k miles on it... Out of my price range for that mess.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
Re: (Scuba2001)

I was looking at those also, but if I were to buy a B6 Audi Avant, I'd have to go all out and get an UltraSport, and those are still over $20k for an '04 that's got 70+k miles on it... Out of my price range for that mess.

I have an '05 Ultrasport Avant that I got for about 25k with less than 30,000 on the clock. '04's w/ a bit more mileage may be around 21ish. If you can stretch, it's worth it. I will never sell this car.

Modified by velocipedio at 7:57 AM 8-6-2008

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.