VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car from what it seems is rare. It was imported by Exxon Mobil Research and Engineering in 81. There were two cars that they used for testing, this Golf, that was modified to run on methanol, and a gasser Rabbit. After the tests were completed, the gasser was supposed to be on display at a dealer while the methanol car was supposed to be crushed.

I have that methanol car. I found it in Southern Indiana, up to its roof in weeds and a few dead animals. It started up and I brought it home with me. Once I cleaned up the car, I saw all of the odd parts that were factory fitted. Such as the wheel well fuel tank and all of the little sensors to measure how the engine was working. This car also had a KM dash (with roughly 15k km or close to 9k miles), the hard-to-understand european radio, and the odd long tails without the reverse lights.

Once I went to the BMV to get my car titled, it took a few weeks then I found out that this car, even though it has a New Jersey title, was illegally imported and never allowed to drive on the road. The BMV refused to title it, and also said I will be receiving a letter from VWoA as proof that this car is not legal, nor does it meet the road requirements.

I have been sitting on this car for about three years, in those three years I have thought of every swap possible and every random mod that I could do. Finally after owning an APR tuned B6 A4 Quattro, I decided I wanted the 1.8t. So, I sold my daily E39 Wagon and got a 2001(MKIV) Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with the AWW and a 5 sp.
This car originally had a carb’d 1.7(?) with a 4 sp, but after years of running on methanol, then suddenly filled with unleaded gas the engine was having some troubles. Also one of the owners before me decided to fit an MSD ignition to this poor car, but they did not know how to properly wire it. It was wired for a 6 cyl and there was literally a fuse taped over the intake. The engine was toast and could barely stay running no matter what I had done or how ever much money I poured into it.
The body is overall very amazing, little to no rust, and very solid floors. The worst part of the car is the hatch and the broken windshield.

My Plans!
Motor & Trans: AWW 1.8T & 02a
Tear everything down & refinish head
Literally plan on buying almost every part brand new and making this engine perfectly clean (valves, timing kit, water pump, head studs, etc.)
SAI delete
All silicone hoses
FMIC
3” downpipe & full stainless exhaust
Stage 1 clutch
New K03s turbo
Forge hybrid diverter valve
Cold air intake
Tune
Digital/interactive cluster
I plan on trying to use the wheel well fuel tank as a fuel cell
I don’t want to go over 300 whp, just because I would rather not torque steer into a wall.
Braking/Suspension: 5x100 swap
I want to run the 5x100 set up on the MK1, knowing this will be a lot of chopping and welding I have to try to find the most efficient way to achieve this. Depending on what will be most cost effective, I could just buy a big brake upgrade.
Rear wil be converted from disc to drum
Tubular independant rear suspension
For the actual suspension, I currently have some cheap racelands on the car. I plan to either upgrade to Airride or a decent riding coilover brand.
Body: 4dr Golf LS
Alpine white
Laguna Seca blue engine bay
16”/15” wheels (if I have to, 17”)
Euro spec carbon fiber front a rear bumper
Carbon fiber rear hatch
New/polished black and chrome trim
New tail lights
Maybe a radio
All new window and door seals (yayy)
Wolfsburg steering wheel
Racing seats
Probably no back seats
Poly bushings

And there are more things. I have a more detailed list that I keep with me. But this is just an overall idea of what I want my car to be. This is my dream car, and I’ve had countless offers for it and every year I get mad and try to sell it. I never plan to though. It’s my car and my dream, so I will make it just as dorky as I like. I want to track the car, and I plan on finding out a way in which I will be able to drive him on the road.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This car hasn’t really come very far since I first got it. It is currently almost completely stripped. No motor and no interior. I’m about to put it up on a rotisserie and load it into the garage for winter. I plan on having it painted, at least primered before winter.

As for the jetta; the subframe, motor, and trans are all out in the garage sitting on the floor. Once I get everything apart, the motor will go up on a stand.
As for the rest of the Jetta, all of the wiring from the engine is disconnected and labeled. Next step is to tear into the dash and fuse boxes. I am terrified of this task, and actually I planned on avoiding it by buying an $1800 complete wiring harness and ecu for the car from EU. But to try and save I’ll see about being brave enough to actually tear everything down. The car won’t have any airbags or ABS for starters, I’m still trying to decide on if I want a radio. I want to do a wire tuck, and I know now is a good time to decide. I’m just happen that everything I have, I can do inside the heated garage just in time for winter.
It’s honestly hard to find time for everything, being a full-time student, worker and mother; but I hope to have my project done within the next few years.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LH4mSa]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mx6bJR]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LH4m1a]

You always need a helper.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/MdTGP1]

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
These may be a silly questions but what do you plan on doing with the car if it cannot be titled?
If it cannot be driven on the street then why dump a bunch of money into it?
If you are going to make it a track car then why not 300+ hp?

Before you put any money into it, you may want to get the title situation figured out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually have the title figured out, I'm just waiting until I finish my car to title it. It's just going to take time and lots of paper work

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I'd still save the methanol. Much cooler and more unique than a dime a dozen 1.8t, but it's your car. Just know it will never be worth anywhere near the value it would have been had you saved it. With how much you plan to invest in a 1.8t you could easily get a carb'd 1.7l to run like a top, and professionally restore the methanol system. :screwy:

Also the fact that you have an '81 Golf stateside and you just want to throw out the cluster for some ugly digital universal ish is just pitiful. Guys would kill to be in your situation. It even has the coveted 80/early81 only dash in black! :banghead:

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
if you can please post some pics of the euro interior!

I like the idea of a 20v swap with an 02J but I would try and keep as much of the dash and interior as OE as possible

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here is what VWoA told me through the BMV. Since it will be registered as a show car and will have a motor swap the emissions don't count towards this vehicle. So just waiting on paperwork and I should have the title pretty soon.

While I'm waiting I have the motor pulled and almost completely stripped. Just need to find time to put it on the engine stand and clean it up.
Trans is off, and will be sealed up in a non dusty area until I need it again.
All of the wiring I need from the 1.8t is sitting away nicely waiting to be shipped to S&P.
The same people I plan on buying the motor mounts from along with a few other goodies.

While I am waiting I am also doing body work to make sure this poor thing doesnt get rusty. The previous owners, I cant even explain how bad they were at spray painting. Who paints a radiator?!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd still save the methanol. Much cooler and more unique than a dime a dozen 1.8t, but it's your car. Just know it will never be worth anywhere near the value it would have been had you saved it. With how much you plan to invest in a 1.8t you could easily get a carb'd 1.7l to run like a top, and professionally restore the methanol system. :screwy:

Also the fact that you have an '81 Golf stateside and you just want to throw out the cluster for some ugly digital universal ish is just pitiful. Guys would kill to be in your situation. It even has the coveted 80/early81 only dash in black! :banghead:

Good luck.
I was trying to save the methanol, believe me. But I spent around $1500 trying to figure out what it needed and nothing would work. It was literally a frankenstein motor from VW. It had a beetle single barrel carb, a early 70s super beetle oil cooler, and a few other just weird parts. Plus I couldn't find any information on that motor. No state side cars came with carbs in 81. I had to buy parts for a 76, which werent right either. It was just turning into too much. I was planning on running the original cluster, but I dont want anything to happen to it so I just have it tucked away in a box in my house for safe keeping. Same with the dash, its currently stored wrapped in bubble wrap and covered just to make sure no more animals are tempted by it. Believe me, you arent the first to judge me when it comes to these small parts. But everything that I can save, I am saving.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you can please post some pics of the euro interior!

I like the idea of a 20v swap with an 02J but I would try and keep as much of the dash and interior as OE as possible
Ill try posting pictures of the interior tomorrow. There isnt much. And its actually all out of the car and what was save able is in my house or attic wrapped up. I plan on using as much of it as I can when I put the whole car back together. Id love for it to look as oem as possible.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what up grill.

welcome back

do you still have the original engine?
i have seen some 1.7L requests on the classifieds lately
It's tucked away in the shed, I doubt I could ever get rid of the original motor.

Heres the best pictures that I have of the interior.

And now on to the fun parts; who doesn't like a clean shave? I have quite a lot more done, just sadly the only couple of pictures I currently have.

I think your doors are bad when your door seals are rusted out.

The helper:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts