VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/h...shtml
Quote »

Juan Pablo Montoya admitted on Thursday that his critics might be right - and he may just be a little mad after all. The Colombian came under fire from Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn at the European Grand Prix last weekend when he nosed his Williams inside the Ferrari of world champion Michael Schumacher leaving the German marooned in a sand trap as they battled for second place.
" Maybe I am a little bit mad but I thought it was a pretty cool move and a good move and I was happy with it" said Montoya who hung on to second place at the Nurburgring while Schumacher trailed home in fifth place.
The two drivers have a history of clashes on the track with incidents in Brazil and Malaysia in 2001 witnessing the start of a fierce rivalry between the duo. " Overtaking should never be easy. You should force other drivers into a mistake " said the Williams man. " I think when Ross Brawn said I was mad and lacked class, he was very frustrated because Kimi Raikkonen had quit with a blown engine, and he would have known how important it was for his driver to finish high up. But drivers know that when I am behind them, I will go for it. Controversy is good for the fans and they want to see it. They get a crack out of it."

Montoya currently lies fourth in the championship with 39 points to Schumacher's 58 and was on pole here last year. He also has a win to his name this season as well as two second spots - in Australia and at the Nurburgring last weekend when teammate Ralf Schumacher clinched victory.
And as he pursues a world title which many in the sport believe is his destiny, the 27-year-old is adamant that he will not change his wild ways.
" Before I went on the track last week, Frank Williams said that he wanted to see some proper racing " explained Montoya who is happy with his agression and consistency on the track. " I am not always where I want to be but I've been finishing fourth, third, second. It's not great but last week Kimi looked like a hero but he was an idiot because he cocked it up just like he did in Barcelona. In Austria, Ralf was as quick as me in practice but screwed it up on Friday."

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/h...shtml
Quote »
Juan-Pablo Montoya will not change his racing tactics, despite the uproar that was caused by his clash with Michael Schumacher during Sunday’s European Grand Prix.
Montoya is adamant that his style of hard-fought racing has enabled him to compete in Formula 1, and that he will not change now to suit other people.
He says drivers are in the sport to win and it is therefore his instinct to attempt a passing manoeuvre rather than settling for second best.
"I’ve been a racer all my life and you have to stamp your authority on the track and show there is no inch given,” he told British tabloid, The Sun. "It’s in my instinct to have a go and that’s why we should all be in this sport. We aren’t here to sit behind someone throughout a race.”
Speaking about Michael Schumacher directly, Montoya said that he will always attempt to pass the German where possible, despite the fact that he will always be aggressive behind the wheel.
"I gained Michael’s respect when I overtook him during the 2001 Brazilian GP. After that he was aggressive towards me but at the moment he’s got more to lose than me so I don’t care."
However, Montoya also believes that Schumacher would rather pull over than risk an accident, taking into account his world championship position.
"What I can guarantee is that if you are close enough and you have a shot under braking, the chances are that Michael will move over. If he doesn’t then you are both out of the race but he is more screwed than you because he is leading the championship and needs the points.”
Montoya is currently fourth in the Drivers’ Championship and trails the leader, Michael Schumacher, by 19 points.

Not to get into a debate wether he was right or wrong on that move on Schumi, but man does this guy lack some serious tact. Especially this quote : "It's not great but last week Kimi looked like a hero but he was an idiot because he cocked it up just like he did in Barcelona." It seems I loose more respect for this guy with every passing week.

Modified by Reflex5.5 at 10:49 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (Reflex5.5)

I lost all respect fir that arrogant prick a long time ago. Nothing makes me happier than him not finishing a race. (well except for Ferrari winning)
And for the record, He did not leave Schumi enough room to make it through that turn.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (ike bora)

Quote, originally posted by ike bora »
I lost all respect fir that arrogant prick a long time ago. Nothing makes me happier than him not finishing a race. (well except for Ferrari winning)
And for the record, He did not leave Schumi enough room to make it through that turn.

It was a good pass, and we need more of them in F1. "Shumi" knew he was being passed and did'nt fight or let Juan go, he just took up space.
FERRARI CRYBABIES

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (ike bora)

I'm sorry - are we talking about the same pass that left Mikey perched on the curb? The overhead view clearly showed that there was a good 18" between the other side of the Ferrari and the edge of the track, and the distance was increasing when contact happened.
Montoya isn't being paid to be everyone's buddy. It was a well-executed effort that left Micheal exactly as much racing room as it should have.
K

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (coneracer)

Quote, originally posted by coneracer »
FERRARI CRYBABIES

Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing this.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (Dan-'83 Rabbit GTI)

Montoya Rocks we need more people like him in F1. That pass was legit, even Michael and lil bro Ralf readily agreed to that.. the last two guys in F1 who would if Montoya had been wrong. I wore my Montoya cap with pride after that race. I love the way he speaks his mind with out mincing words, he speaks like a real person instead of a media/sponser friendly pu55y5 like most of the drivers. He and JV should be on the same team two of the same type of guys. For the record Michael doesnt need to be squeezed to run into someone remember Jerez '97

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (dubsix)

Montoya's a God, even when you break his head, lol. Stop crying, you Tifosi fairies, lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (vdubjb)

JPM gave Michael more room at the Nurburgring than Michael gave Kimi at Magny Cours last year. MS wouldn't even let Kimi back on the track and everyone just chuckled about that one. Michael didn't even have a problem with Juan's move.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (deerebot)

The pass was clean, even Micheal admitted it. However that does not change JPMs comments nor does it change the fact that he is an ass and has been for a long time.

·
Registered
23,018 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (deerebot)

I can't stand Montoya or Schumi...both are arrogant, Montoya just happens to be more aggressive. I have to wonder though, if there will be a penalty assessed like there was for Schumi back in Jerez in '97(?) when he hit JV. Didn't he lose all his championship points gained for that season?

·
Registered
10 Posts

The pass looked clean, yet aggressive to me. We need a little more passing action anyways. I think Michael was expecting JPM to spin after they made contact and was suprised by the result.
JPM's Austrian GP collision with Michael, on the other hand, was an over-agressive rookie blunder. I think he has matured--I was thinking he was even a bit too mellow until that pass at the Euro...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (meataxe)

I like when the reporter said "Was it a legal pass? and he responded
"Well as far as I know,Its not illegal to pass Michael Schumacher. ...Is it?"

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (Gigger)

Seeing how Michael is starting behind JPM today maybe he'll return the favor.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (Gigger)

Quote, originally posted by Gigger »
I like when the reporter said "Was it a legal pass? and he responded
"Well as far as I know,Its not illegal to pass Michael Schumacher. ...Is it?"

There's a bit of truth buried in that sentence, like in all good jokes.
I think that if anyone else than older Schumi had been helped from the gravel by tractor driver, they would've handed penalties.
JPM is such a refreshing person, minds me of old-school F1 drivers who showed some passion for driving. Nowadays driving seem to be so mechanical and boring. It's like "if you even think you can't pass, don't bother trying"

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (Hervast)

You might actually be surprised as to how approachable and friendly Montoya is. He regularly drives Kart events around here and will gladly socialize with fellow enthusiasts. Montoya is just a typical hardcore racer with a high degree of competitiveness in him. I was glad to see him go for the pass agaisnt Schumi.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (Kaiservon)

Quote, originally posted by Kaiservon »
You might actually be surprised as to how approachable and friendly Montoya is.

I know at least one camreman who would disagree.
***SPOILER AHEAD**** (highlight text to read)
That said I find it funny that Williams backed Montoya after the last race but today they gave the order to back off towards the end. In other words they knew a hothead like him has very good chances of taking both Williams cars out if he attempts to pass.
***END SPOILER****

·
Registered
8,406 Posts

It's nice to see these guys are actual human beings and not media/sponsor controlled marketing robots. I say bring on the attitude.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: Once an ass, always an ass..... (VW-BMW)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Do you guys know when one of the most exciting times in F 1 was? When Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost shared driving duties at Mclaren. They both went at it for the championship, there was no team strategy other than "do not let anyone else win", and they would argue and bicker after several of the races they contested.
Montoya has a big ego and is full of himself...you know what that describes a good number of the guys in F1. Do you all remember Schumi's trademark chop? ...

Good Stuff, keeps it interesting...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts