VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil..

I'm gonna replace mine with some Redline MTL, but I'm not 100% certain exactly how much oil I should use.. using the search function yields mixed results. and buying a whole quart just to use 10% of it seems like it's a waste of money, unless it's necessary, which I'll do if it is. would someone please clear the smoke for the record? thanks, and God bless VW..

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (Metal Man)

2 quarts is plenty - I've done 6 A2 trans fluid changes in the past 2 years (minbe and friends cars) - and it has always been enough - don't bother buying another quart.....

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (89GLi)

Bah. Buy the 2 complete quarts, plus a quart to top it off whenever you notice it's low. Hey, it'll be low when you check it after adding only 2 quarts, so add a little!

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (DrMSH)

Maybe you should consider that too little oil will do harm to much won't. The oil level shouldn't go down, if it does it leaks and should be fixed.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: Re??? Tranny gear oil.. (The_Hamster)

I was told I would need 3 bottles by the guy who sold me it (vw shop).
I went home, poured drained the old stuff, poured some mtl in just to flush it out (the bently said 2.1), put the plug back in, and filled it up. I'm not sure if I opened the 3rd bottle, but 2 quarts was plenty for me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (Vdubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]Maybe you should consider that too little oil will do harm to much won't. The oil level shouldn't go down, if it does it leaks and should be fixed.[HR][/HR]​
WRONG!
Too much and you will replacing the clutch! And maybe the tranny, foamed up fluid (even red line) doesn't work very well.
For 88 and later you can do this...
To be safe I pull the plug from the end case and place drip pan under it. Add through speedo cable opening untill fluid gets to open plug.
Pre 88 plug in end of case was to low and you need to fill over it to have the correct amount.
At least that is what I have read.
Rick

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (R)

Huh? Plug from the end case? Shouldn't it be filled from the plug that's blocked by the clutch cable?
How would you tell if the oil is low on an exisiting tranny on older ones if none of the plugs were right in the first place?

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (negativl)

the plug in the end case is the technical filling hole. supposedly on the later ones u fill from there till it runs out, then replace the plug, though through speedo hole. then on early ones, u do the same then replace the plug and add... i cant' remember.. a little bit of oil, not much, lol.
they all have the plug.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (The_Hamster)

I did mine last year. I even used MT-90, even tho I found out after I bought the stuff and changed it that I was supposed to use MTL. Who cares, the Redline is 5000000% better than the brown stuff that was in there. I can shift in cold weather now.
I got an 87 with a 9A tranny, and I..
Drained it by removing both plugs, one near the bottom of the diff, and the other on the side by the throwout bearing cap..
waited forever because fluid flows slow in January when it's 0 degrees outside..
and then I poured in enough Redline until it leaked out the side plug (put the bottom one in of course), waited til it stopped leaking, replaced the plug, and added..like 10 oz or something to it. I ended up adding more a month or so ago..I was a few ounces low, but that could be because my car's old, and something's worn. Not leaving stains on the driveway, so I'll deal with it for now.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (89GLi)

quote:[HR][/HR]thought it was 2.4 quarts on the 020 tranny.
http://www.kraftswerk.com/faq-main.html [HR][/HR]​
Yea I fell for that one too.The Bently say 2 quarts. I tried the 2.4 like KW say and there was too much pressure from the excess and it blew off the end cap covering the side of my car with fluid

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (GTIRACER2.0t)

heres what a homemade drain plug looks like, made from 2 lug nuts.

if u pull this plug and drain it, then fill thru the speedo hole while a buddy is underneath, when it starts to come out the hole, put the 17mm allen key bak in, put in a lil more tranny fluid and your dun.
also, when u pull out the speedo cable, chek the lil rubber bushings on the end. if there beat, take a friend or parents car to the hardware store, go to the plumbing section and git new ones.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Re: Once and for all: is it 2.0 quarts, 2.1 quarts, 2.5 quarts??? Tranny gear oil.. (DrMSH)

When I fill using the plug on the end, it seems like it takes less than 2 quarts. Anyone else experinec this?
Oh, I vote for two quarts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.