VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very nice. For some reason I thought you weren't expecting it to arrive before the new year. I'm not usually a fan of grey but it works well with the red interior and black optics. Congrats!
Apparently I got the VIP treatment in Bratislava. :ROFLMAO: That sounds...bad....anyway...

I was surprised too, it came in ahead of schedule. But I am happy it did...we get a little bit of time with dry(ish) roads before the salt-fest coming next month.

·
Registered
34,376 Posts
Congrats! That should do the trick.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Congrats bud, happy to have been able to help sway you back into the brand!

And thanks for my gift 🥰
You’re very welcome. Let’s hang out and grab food and drinks...sometime....whenever we can grab food and drinks. :)

Reactions: Smooremin

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'll be interested to see how well these sell considering the Q7 is perfectly adequate and the *8's provide more cache. I think they are a good sleeper pick :)
I think that's what appeals to me about it. It IS a sleeper. The RSQ8 and SQ8 got all the press - the attention on the Q7 was paid on the refresh, not the addition of the S model. So I didn't even know about it.

As I said, if it weren't for Brandon posting that SQ8 video, I'd be dealing with BMW right now. And I am glad that didn't happen - the Q7 is a superior vehicle in my opinion.

Reactions: DonPatrizio

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,083 Posts
Wow, what a spec. You guys with the brisk Audis are killing me. They are just so ****ing cool. Congrats!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Congrats. Love the SQ7 and agree with your assessment of the Cayenne S. I'm torn between the two. Can you say more about why you went Audi SQ7 vs Cayenne S? The audi is about 750lbs heavier so the lb/hp is nearly identical and that Cayenne handles incredibly well... Prices aren't that far apart, especially if you option-up the Audi. Would love to hear more. And, beautiful car &spec.
Sure.

First, I won't ever track this thing. It's a high performance and fun daily driver, and a family car. So when you look at it through that lens, the Cayenne makes less sense because they put so much effort into making a SUV handle. The interior and family-functionality suffers as a result - unless you option the Cayenne up with things like memory seats, leather dash, you know...things you expect in a six figure car...but don't get on a Porsche. And when you do option the Cayenne to match (or exceed) we're really looking at Audi RSQ8 money, and the cycle starts over again. You really need to WANT the Cayenne and value the things it brings to the table - and it IS unique in that regard.

The second issue is the Cayenne is a 2 row. I wanted a 3 row for occasional use. This is the same knock I had against the X5 but I was willing to overlook at the X5's price.

The third issue with the Cayenne...well, dammit I wanted a V8. The Cayenne S is a very potent 2.9L V6. And I like that engine, but I loved the V8s in the SQ line and the BMW X5 M50i.

In summary, the Cayenne didn't work for me, but maybe it works for you. In this class of vehicle, they are all excellent. You cannot make a bad choice.

Reactions: DonPatrizio

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,104 Posts
First, I won't ever track this thing. It's a high performance and fun daily driver, and a family car. So when you look at it through that lens, the Cayenne makes less sense because they put so much effort into making a SUV handle.
FWIW, I own a Cayenne and also spend a lot of time at the track, but I've no intention of ever putting the Cayenne on it. Being so heavy, in a full session I'd probably overheat the tires and possibly even the very large brakes, and while the suspension is fantastic on the street, for the track I have to imagine you'd pitch all over the place--even my 718 with PASM had too much movement. Not to mention I'm occasionally out there with people in Radicals, Caterhams, Spec Racer Fords, and (once!) an LMP2 car; doesn't seem fair and pretty sure that wouldn't fly with control to be in a vehicle that could quite literally run others over, so we're talking about sandbagging run groups too.

I'll admit it would probably be fine for someone that wanted to do a few days at 7 or 8/10ths in a novice group to experience the performance it has. And there are a lot of Cayennes in the paddock; it's just, IME 100% time it's been a tow vehicle or a support vehicle of some sort. After all, you could reasonably get a Spec Miata + trailer + SQ8 for the price of a Cayenne S and have the best of both worlds.

TL;DR--As a Cayenne owner, choosing one over a Q7 or Q8 is 100% an emotional preference for handling and design.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Damn, I think I assumed that the SQ models just had a forced induction V6. Glad to hear they have a V8.
I did the same thing you did. I assumed it had the blown V6 in it.

But nope, this thing has the twin turbo 500 hp V8 in it. As I understand it, it's basically a detuned RSQ8 / Urus engine. It's a lot more "watered down RSQ8" rather than "sportified Q7", if that makes any sense. I was assuming it was the other way around.

Listen to the startup vid Brandon posted in his "Make Green Great Again" post. That literally sold me the car.:)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,053 Posts
Damn, I think I assumed that the SQ models just had a forced induction V6. Glad to hear they have a V8.
The regular Q7 has a forced induction V6, as of 2020 it's the 3.0T with an actual turbo, whereas the earlier ones were the supercharged 3.0T.

The S models definitely get a more exciting motor.

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,083 Posts
I'm going to post this in Smoo...whatever's RS6 thread, but holy ****, do these Audis have potential with just a tune. Watch it pick the front end up on launch after they give it a little extra oomph.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,891 Posts
Wow, what a spec. You guys with the brisk Audis are killing me. They are just so ****ing cool. Congrats!
I can help with that

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,442 Posts
The regular Q7 has a forced induction V6, as of 2020 it's the 3.0T with an actual turbo, whereas the earlier ones were the supercharged 3.0T.

The S models definitely get a more exciting motor.
Yeah, I knew that, but a lot of non-top-tier performance models these days use an uprated version of what is in the more mundane models. See E53 vs E450 for example. And the S6/S7 have a twin turbo V6 these days as well.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Very nice! Can't go wrong with the performance and utility of these new SUVs.

Reactions: Maximum_Download

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Looks like the Highlander wheels swapped over nicely. Loving it!

Reactions: Maximum_Download
21 - 40 of 145 Posts