VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Congrats, I would love to pick up a used one in a couple of years. I've had my eye on a new Q7 for a while now. With another baby on the way, it will be a necessary upgrade as we'd like to have the 3rd row for when family visits etc.

I absolutely love my stage 2 SQ5 - the sounds on startup of the new SQ7 are amazing too. The red leather is great!!

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,457 Posts
Yeah, I knew that, but a lot of non-top-tier performance models these days use an uprated version of what is in the more mundane models. See E53 vs E450 for example. And the S6/S7 have a twin turbo V6 these days as well.
Well, yes and no.

While the S6/S7 have a twin turbo V6, it's an entirely different motor than the 3.0T found in the A6, SQ5, etc etc.

S6/S7 get a 2.9TT motor that comes down from Porsche. So it's not like the 3.0T in the SQ5 that just gets a tune and a loud exhaust compared to the 3.0T in the regular Q5. In that case, yes, it's the exact same motor.

A6 and A7 get a single turbo 3.0T, which is totally different than the S6/S7.

·
18,457 Posts
Threads like this make me want an SQ5 even more than I already do... 👀
You should buy one, and you should buy it from Brandon up in Chicago.

·
18,457 Posts
Definitely an attractive, capable machine. Did you look at the TDI Cayennes? Friend has one... hard to argue with monster torque rating, nice interior, and 30mpg.
If he was looking for a new three row CUV why would he consider a used two row CUV?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Definitely an attractive, capable machine. Did you look at the TDI Cayennes? Friend has one... hard to argue with monster torque rating, nice interior, and 30mpg.
Diesel does nothing for me. It was never a consideration.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,489 Posts
Well, yes and no.

While the S6/S7 have a twin turbo V6, it's an entirely different motor than the 3.0T found in the A6, SQ5, etc etc.

S6/S7 get a 2.9TT motor that comes down from Porsche. So it's not like the 3.0T in the SQ5 that just gets a tune and a loud exhaust compared to the 3.0T in the regular Q5. In that case, yes, it's the exact same motor.

I think the block is the same, both are reverse flow heads, and VWAG calls them both EA839, but yeah, it's not like GTI vs. Golf R here, the hi-po variant is seriously worked over. 2.9T is destroked to lower compression for more boost, it has the aforementioned twin turbo vs. single dual scroll, it's liquid-intercooled vs. air-intercooled, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
I like everything about this post. Saw a similarly spec'd grey SQ7 at the local hand carwash I utilize between details, it's definitely a looker. Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy this purchase throughout your ownership.

Reactions: Maximum_Download

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looks like the Highlander wheels swapped over nicely. Loving it!
I knew that was coming. :)

I wish the "flag style" alloys of the SQ8 were available. But on the flip side, these are really easy to clean.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
the interior, so nice.

looking forward to seeing some towing pics! (thats the rating on that thing?)
7,700 lbs.!

I am struggling with NOT looking at bigger boats. I need to remind myself that I am really maxed out with my current boat and storage situation.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
@Maximum_Download - congrats again. Love the color combo and spec (thank you for getting black optics).

I think you already know my thoughts and feelings on this. We own a small camper that we tow with our Durango, but I reaaaaaaaaaaaally want to put my wife in an Audi for her next SUV. The price will not go over well sadly. We don't really need 3 rows - I wonder what an SQ5 tows. Hmm....

@Smooremin - I also owe you a gift. I've been remiss....some holiday is coming.

·
18,457 Posts
damn, thats great!
I have to say, I was quite surprised by the tow rating of the Q7 when I got it (also 7,700lbs). I did not expect a vehicle that size to have a tow rating like that.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Well, I just did a build on a standard Q7 - $75k. I can hear my wife vetoing this idea already :mad: considering the deal we got on her Durango (bottom dollar on the pricing and nice trade value). Of course she has no real concept that the replacement will easily cost a lot more no matter what we do.

I'm tempted to convince her that we should take the value out of it now (given the crazy used market).....but she likes to keep her cars forever.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,501 Posts
Well, yes and no.

Yeah, sorry, I was making two separate points.

First, cars like the E53 are using basically the same engine as the E450.

Second, it's easy to assume that the SQ7/8 are using a similar setup to the S6/7.

41 - 60 of 145 Posts