VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Dude. Just let the guy enjoy his new car.
Lol. You act like I said something bad or nasty when it was a completely benign thought/discussion point. BTW - I also complimented the car earlier in the thread, guess you didn't see that part, eh? Of course you didn't.

Happy Turkey day to you, good sir!

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,615 Posts
Lol. You act like I said something bad or nasty when it was a completely benign thought/discussion point. BTW - I also complimented the car earlier in the thread, guess you didn't see that part, eh? Of course you didn't.

But the point is, who cares about the next vehicle? He just got this. Let him enjoy the newness and excitement of such a stellar new vehicle. If he goes back to a highlander or similar for the next vehicle, does it really matter?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Whatever man, you guys will hone in on anything and everything just to make an issue out of it sometimes instead of just letting it go.

Enjoy the car, OP.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,060 Posts
First, congrats Matt on the new car!

Second: I find the "what do you do next" question to be an interesting philosophical one. Maybe a bit of a thread highjack in this congratulatory context, but...

I spent a lot of time testing cars at all price ranges, having driven about 1500 cars in total. Honestly, there are gems at every price. It was surprising how little I cared at stepping out of a E-Class and going to a Regal or S60. And since I didn't pay for those test cars, those emotions/judgments were devoid of the fact of saving tens of thousands of my dollars.

You'd think that driving the fancy stuff spoiled me for "more mundane" cars, but nah. When I bought my Telluride, I cross-shopped new X5s and I could have afforded either one. Yes, the BMW drives better, but I don't pine for it when I drive my Kia. Same with my CX-5 vs the X3 that I cross-shopped back in 2007.

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts

Of course I read the thread. Nasty? No. But it's tactless.

The poor guy just bought a really nice car that he's super excited about. How does belaboring a hypothetical about having to downgrade in the future even make sense? Congratulate him or not, then start a thread if it weighs so heavily on your mind.

Just let him enjoy his badass car. That's all.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,615 Posts
First, congrats Matt on the new car!

Second: I find the "what do you do next" question to be an interesting philosophical one. Maybe a bit of a thread highjack in this congratulatory context, but...
Your situation is certainly a unique one that very few people share. Having said that, how many people think about "what's next" after they just bought something they spent time and money acquiring? I don't recall if Matt leased this, but if he did and it was a standard 3 yr lease, many things can happen between now and then. Life circumstances, a new crop of cars being available, changing opinions on cars, etc. Seems like thinking about what's next is a bit premature.

How long did it take you start thinking about "what's next" after buying the kia? I'm a year and a half into jeep ownership and haven't thought about what will be replacing it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,060 Posts
How long did it take you start thinking about "what's next" after buying the kia? I'm a year and a half into jeep ownership and haven't thought about what will be replacing it.
Solid question. Far longer than the time Matt has owned the SQ7, which is the valid point of the protests in this thread. :).

I haven't seriously thought about what's next after the Telluride. It took A LONG time to choose it, it has done everything I want, and I still love driving it. I'm hoping to own it for 8-10 years, especially given our future move to a more walking-oriented area.

The CX-5 is on shakier ground. It was about 18 months after buying the CX-5 before I started test driving other cars, mostly because my business was doing OK and the Mazda isn't as fun as an A6 C7.5 or GTI. Like you said, changing situations mean I might go with a BEV, or a hobby car like an XK or SLK, or....

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I have to say, I was quite surprised by the tow rating of the Q7 when I got it (also 7,700lbs). I did not expect a vehicle that size to have a tow rating like that.
I am toying around with the possibility of a travel trailer which in turn has me thinking abut what vehicle will tow it.
Also similar in size VW Touareg 7,716 Towing Capacity, Grand Cherokee with the V8 7,200 lbs, not too shabby for something of that size.
And slightly larger LR Discovery 8,200 Dodge Durango 8,700 are all SUV's I'm looking at. Never thought of the q7 because of the wife already driving a q5. Didn't want to be the couple with almost matching cars. 🥃

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
Holy freakin' crap. :eek: Nice!

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Come on... join the crowd... upgrade to a hellcat. :p
Ha, ha, well of course. But two problems - 1) it's only going to be for sale (new) for one model year, and 2) my wife would fall over if she saw the sticker on that too.

If I had to place a bet, her next SUV, as much as I want a Q7, will wind up being a WL Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I am toying around with the possibility of a travel trailer which in turn has me thinking abut what vehicle will tow it.
Also similar in size VW Touareg 7,716 Towing Capacity, Grand Cherokee with the V8 7,200 lbs, not too shabby for something of that size.
And slightly larger LR Discovery 8,200 Dodge Durango 8,700 are all SUV's I'm looking at. Never thought of the q7 because of the wife already driving a q5. Didn't want to be the couple with almost matching cars. 🥃
I would never tow with the LR - too many potential reliability problems. Durango and Grand Cherokee are solid options.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,009 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Sorry for ignoring this thread over the weekend...hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

So driving impressions: It's cliche to say this, but I didn't think you could get excellence like this. You always talk about a car being "worth the money" and then there's this car. I even hesitate to chalk it up to the cost, because again, a lot of the goodness is baked into the basic platform. I said this with my Golf R and I will say it again here: I don't know how Audi makes their money on this thing. I am kind of envious of the people who buy the basic Q7....that's where the real magic is happening.

The engineering, thoughtful touches, and sheer THOUGHT that went into this car is unbelievable. First off, the ride and handling. My initial impressions stand up - this drives and handles like a super-Golf R, but throw it in comfort mode and the ride is pillow-soft. Turn in and braking is quite good for normal driving - I am not pushing it hard because I need to give it a gentle breakin for the first 1000 miles.

Going easy on it is not hard to do, because the well of power and torque is seemingly limitless. I do not use more than 1/4 throttle for every daily driving task, including passing cars on 2 lane roads. And starting it up in the morning is one of life's simpler pleasures.....the initial fire-off shakes the entire house. There's no sneaking out of the driveway in this car - my entire neighborhood hears this thing when you start it up.

The interior is a joy. There is genuine leather on the dash and the rest of the touchpoints feel expensive.

Complaints? Yeah, I have 2. The only real complaint I have with the fit and finish is the steering wheel buttons. They make a CLACK-CLACK sound when you push them that sounds a little thin and cheap for the car. The other "complaint" I have (and it's more an observation) is that the technology on this car is borderline-overwhelming. We have had the car a week now and we're still learning how to use it. I am in the tech field so it doesn't bother me so much - setting up user profiles, syncing the individual settings to those profiles, keying the car to the MyAudi app on our phones - it all works PRETTY well, but there are times where it is not intuitive. Small tasks like changing the stereo sound settings require you to pull over, and hunt and peck for the sub-menu you need in the infotainment. I haven't even gotten to the voice-activated MyAudi assistant - every time I ask it something it doesn't pull up what I want, so let's chalk that one up to user error.

Fletcher Jones has been first class to work with as well. I had to run the car in for service to correct a minor issue that delivery missed, and we got to see the Service Department in action. Super-high tech, everyone was using tablets, and I got real-time email push notifications when the car was ready to be picked up. Again, something I would expect from a car dealership but up to now, have not seen.

I also did a polish and ceramic coating on the car since we had a few nice days, so here's some new pics.

First up, if you have never gotten up close and personal with Daytona Gray Pearl....you're missing out:

Here's some more shots:

Yesterday we took a trip out to Dixon, IL. My son is really into American history right now and is learning all about past Presidents, and is currently reading a children's book on Ronald Reagan. To surprise him, we jumped in the car on a whim and drove out to Dixon to see Reagan's boyhood home, as well as the park he lifeguarded at along the Rock River when he was a boy. I grabbed this shot near the snack shelter Reagan tended when he worked there.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Solid question. Far longer than the time Matt has owned the SQ7, which is the valid point of the protests in this thread. :).

I haven't seriously thought about what's next after the Telluride. It took A LONG time to choose it, it has done everything I want, and I still love driving it. I'm hoping to own it for 8-10 years, especially given our future move to a more walking-oriented area.

The CX-5 is on shakier ground. It was about 18 months after buying the CX-5 before I started test driving other cars, mostly because my business was doing OK and the Mazda isn't as fun as an A6 C7.5 or GTI. Like you said, changing situations mean I might go with a BEV, or a hobby car like an XK or SLK, or....
What happens next? Who knows?

Right now, I am in a position where even if COVID goes away, I still won't 'need' a second car - I will just go back to Ubers and airports. I don't see that changing, and I don't see my profession changing either, so for now things are stable.

Where do I go from here? Well, if we stick with one car, I imagine we will lease another Audi when the time comes. If I have to go downscale again, and add a second car....we could do a lot worse than a standard Q7. If I need to go down more than that, I have no issues going to a Highlander again either.

I am pretty flexible. But for now, I am thankful for what I have, and I have no hesitations admitting it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You have a great car here and I hope it serves you well. Its weird to think that one would have an issue going with a cheaper car in the future if finances dictate that. That's like saying don't have a steak tonight because all you could afford tomorrow may be a burger. Just weird.
Anyways, the car has a great color and I enjoyed reading your post. I did not think you'd give your dollars to VAG again after the Golf R issue you had. But, after checking out this SQ7 I don't blame you. It is quite a machine.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts