VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
You have a great car here and I hope it serves you well. Its weird to think that one would have an issue going with a cheaper car in the future if finances dictate that. That's like saying don't have a steak tonight because all you could afford tomorrow may be a burger. Just weird.
Anyways, the car has a great color and I enjoyed reading your post. I did not think you'd give your dollars to VAG again after the Golf R issue you had. But, after checking out this SQ7 I don't blame you. It is quite a machine.
Honestly I am surprised too. ANd I am surprised how quickly we pivoted from "no VAG products" to "okay, maybe this is the right move". Goes to show you that a great product and better care can reset a customer experience.

I am probably done with VW for good, but my Audi relationship has legs. I also think a good dealer makes all the difference, another reason why I wanted to give a hat tip to Brandon and FJ. Its not often that the sales process matches the expectations of the car - that just doesn't happen these days.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Honestly I am surprised too. ANd I am surprised how quickly we pivoted from "no VAG products" to "okay, maybe this is the right move". Goes to show you that a great product and better care can reset a customer experience.

I am probably done with VW for good, but my Audi relationship has legs. I also think a good dealer makes all the difference, another reason why I wanted to give a hat tip to Brandon and FJ. Its not often that the sales process matches the expectations of the car - that just doesn't happen these days.
We all know there is parts sharing between the brands, but Audi products are light years ahead compared to VW products when you start talking about their higher end models and trims. Sure an A3/A4 is likely to share many noticeable parts and some mechanicals but the moment you step into the S cars or in the 6/7/8 levels, there is no longer a comparison.

Glad you also had a pleasant dealer experience, not surprising considering what I've read on here from everyone that deals with FJ. Obviously it doesn't apply to all dealerships, but to a large extent when they underwent their nationwide redesigns it's clear that instructions on how to run the business were given as well. My family has been dealing with the two local broward dealers for over a decade now and they've treated us right from the very start. I've also test driven a car or two at the West Palm store, and the treatment there was no different. Brand experience is as important as the product at this level of vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
DO IT!

I can't recommend it enough.
My wife just had a Q7 as a loaner and was a big fan of it. Her only complaint was the expanses of shiny black plastic on the dash.
Besides price, I think the one thing she won't like is the lack of hidden storage. Though there could be other things - given where she works it could be a bit much.

We all know there is parts sharing between the brands, but Audi products are light years ahead compared to VW products when you start talking about their higher end models and trims. Sure an A3/A4 is likely to share many noticeable parts and some mechanicals but the moment you step into the S cars or in the 6/7/8 levels, there is no longer a comparison.

Glad you also had a pleasant dealer experience, not surprising considering what I've read on here from everyone that deals with FJ. Obviously it doesn't apply to all dealerships, but to a large extent when they underwent their nationwide redesigns it's clear that instructions on how to run the business were given as well. My family has been dealing with the two local broward dealers for over a decade now and they've treated us right from the very start. I've also test driven a car or two at the West Palm store, and the treatment there was no different. Brand experience is as important as the product at this level of vehicle.
There's definitely parts sharing. The A3/Q3 is way more similar to VW products since they share the MQB platform. Once you get above that - things really start to differentiate. The RS3 excepted thanks to that 5 cylinder engine.

The two local dealers here don't hold a candle to FJ Audi. The sales experience at both was "meh". I was already looking out of state when @Smooremin stepped in at the last minute.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Okay, so you guys raised two issues that are already gnawing at me:

Piano black/glass trim: Looks great in the showroom, but its a fingerprint-fest within a day. Audi supplies a microfiber cloth for cleaning, I am growing patience for living with it.

Lack of storage: Okay, so this seems like a minor issue, but the Highlander did this better than any other car out there. There are cubbies everywhere on the Highlander, but in the Q7, front seat storage is VERY limited. You get 2 map pockets, the glove box, a smaller glove box to the left of the driver's left knee, the under-armrest "phone box"....and that's it. I would have thought the center console had more storage, but no.

Again, we can work with what's there, but it's kind of surprising.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
Okay, so you guys raised two issues that are already gnawing at me:

Piano black/glass trim: Looks great in the showroom, but its a fingerprint-fest within a day. Audi supplies a microfiber cloth for cleaning, I am growing patience for living with it.

Lack of storage: Okay, so this seems like a minor issue, but the Highlander did this better than any other car out there. There are cubbies everywhere on the Highlander, but in the Q7, front seat storage is VERY limited. You get 2 map pockets, the glove box, a smaller glove box to the left of the driver's left knee, the under-armrest "phone box"....and that's it. I would have thought the center console had more storage, but no.

Again, we can work with what's there, but it's kind of surprising.
Oh, so this would bother you?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

·
18,437 Posts
That's my wife's car. I keep my car spotless, but if I try to keep her car spotless I would lose my f*cking mind, so I just have to let it go.

I used to keep a rag in every car, so when I'd get in it and it looked like that I could just wipe it down. I can't find the rags though, so whatever.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
That's my wife's car. I keep my car spotless, but if I try to keep her car spotless I would lose my f*cking mind, so I just have to let it go.

I used to keep a rag in every car, so when I'd get in it and it looked like that I could just wipe it down. I can't find the rags though, so whatever.
Does she do her makeup in the car?!?!? HOW!?!?!!?!!?!?

My fiance has the terrible water bottle/coffee mug habit and other miscellaneous items. A girl in college I was with had the habit of always keeping a box of cereal in the car, the whole box, for emergency/breakfast snacking.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
My wife shares my OCD-ness, so you have my sympathies.

·
18,437 Posts
Does she do her makeup in the car?!?!? HOW!?!?!!?!!?!?

My fiance has the terrible water bottle/coffee mug habit and other miscellaneous items. A girl in college I was with had the habit of always keeping a box of cereal in the car, the whole box, for emergency/breakfast snacking.
The biggest part of it is the fact this thing only gets driven once every few weeks, so it just sits collecting dust.

That, and my wife leaving the sunroof open for weeks at a time with it parked outside.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
The biggest part of it is the fact this thing only gets driven once every few weeks, so it just sits collecting dust.

That, and my wife leaving the sunroof open for weeks at a time with it parked outside.
Ha. The thought of leaving a sunroof open in south Florida is just not possible. In any given 15 min time span it's liable to rain. WEEKS!?! Down here I'd return to find a marsh-like eco-system in my car.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,642 Posts
I keep one of these in the glovebox of every car (note don't need the handle, just the pad). Although you're not dusting furniture like in the commercials, it's absolutely ideal for wiping down interior surfaces of cars.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Congrats! Get the 22" 5-V-spoke trapezoidal wheels, slam it to the ground and de-badge it.
Finally responding to this...can you post a pic? I don't know my Audi wheels too well.

·
18,437 Posts
Ha. The thought of leaving a sunroof open in south Florida is just not possible. In any given 15 min time span it's liable to rain. WEEKS!?! Down here I'd return to find a marsh-like eco-system in my car.
She tried her best. Left it open on a nice Friday afternoon. Opened the door Monday morning and the car had water sitting in all the seats, cupholders, floors, car seats. It was totally ****ing soaked. To be honest I'm surprised the electronics haven't messed up.

It rained 4.5" that weekend.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
She tried her best. Left it open on a nice Friday afternoon. Opened the door Monday morning and the car had water sitting in all the seats, cupholders, floors, car seats. It was totally ****ing soaked. To be honest I'm surprised the electronics haven't messed up.

You need to code that thing to auto shut the sunroof on lock.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts

WOW. I know you love each other and this is trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I would've been going nuts. That's a lot of money being spent on something that apparently isn't given a second thought. Also I will be making sure I don't buy any used Q7s that have been in your area. 😛

101 - 120 of 145 Posts